It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Friend is having strange visions

I wasn't entirely sure where to place this, so to be safe, I put it here. I pray someone may be able to offer some guidance:

I was speaking to my boyfriend a couple days ago, and he was telling me of our friend Mike, who has been having some sleeping problems due to graphic nightmares. In these visions, Mike says he is being chased down and mauled by strange things, and he can do nothing to fight back. Mike explained that he was not experiencing any stress or going through hardships at home or in school, so I am at a loss. My boyfriend, who is very much into the spiritual side of life, believes that Mike is perhaps cursed by an evil spirit. I know some of you may think this sounds eccentric, but the religion Mike follows (Gnosticism, I believe) is based on one's dreams.

My boyfriend brought the subject up to his mother, and told her all Mike's symptoms, and she suggested he may be having anxiety panic attacks. Mike says he gets the occasional chest pain, chills, and a couple of the other "typical" symptoms.

For the record, Mike does not have a history of mental problems or anxiety issues, so this newly developed ailment that is plaguing him is beyond my logic. I, too, believe in spiritual activity, but Mike is not a bad person, so I could not even think of why he could possibly be cursed. My boyfriend and I are getting worried about him - I worry that these nightmares of his are some sort of a warning sign of imminent danger.

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever experienced this, or know someone who has?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User
Re: Friend is having strange visions

Are they dreams, or are they visions? I know how to stop repetative nightmares, but if he's awake and seeing visions, I don't know.

Old 03-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Forgive my confusing choice of words - he is having nightmares, and he's been having these horrible dreams for over a month, without explanation. Normally, we would all just blow this off, but Mike is very deeply involved in dreams and understands what they mean (he has interpreted the dreams of friends, including me). These strange recurring nightmares are hitting him very hard.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

There's a lot of different reasons why people have nightmares. Stress, alcohol, some medicines, or even eating a large meal too close to bed time, etc. Your friend is experiencing the most common one - being chased. Usually by a male figure, but it can be animals or monsters too. It usually happens when there's anxiety about some unresolved issue. But the good news is, he doesn't even have to try and interpret his dreams. He can get rid of the nightmares while he's having one.

I've never heard of that religion (Gnosticism) but there are actually a number of other religions that use dreams. However, in the case of nightmares, everyone has had them, especially children. So it's unlikely that there's an evil spirit involved.

Have you ever lay in bed in the dark as a child, and felt some fear that if you put your foot on the floor, a monster would come out from under the bed and attack you? In real life, no matter how afraid you are, it simply won't happen. You know conciously that there aren't any monsters under the bed.
Not so in dreams. Whatever fear you during a dream usually comes true in that dream almost instantly. It's your subconcious bringing it about, because it doesn't know what's real and what's not.

The trick to stopping the nightmares is to face them. All my reccurring nightmares have stopped since I learned this technique. If your friend becomes semi-lucid during one of those dreams, his first reaction will be to wake himself up. That stops the dream right then, but it'll come back. Tell him to do a search using the words, lucid dreaming, to learn how to do that.

Anyway, tell him not to try to wake up. When the things start to come after him, he needs to turn around and say something very benign to them like, "Hi", or he could just smile at them, as long as he doesn't act or speak aggressivly. Facing a fear aggressively for some reason, just makes it become more aggressive. The point is, he should act the opposite of what he's feeling without trying to fight or threaten the monsters.

Here's what happens when you do that. You'll see what they look like, sometimes for the first time. Then they will immediately change into something else. They'll morph into something completely harmless. That nightmare will never return. This technique works so well, that I haven't had a recurring nightmare in over ten years.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB User

P.S. He'll probably wake up laughing because the things that had been chasing him will usually turn into something pretty comical looking.

Old 03-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
(female)

Mortician HB User

Ive had this...
my nightmares were so horrible, i would watch people melt infront of me (blood and screaming)in this dream i was actually in hell a type of hell, i would see my friends floating by me wrapped in plastic in the river.
and also a man stabbing children and babies in the eyes with needles. and chasing me. and another where a man was impaled with glass on the hood of a truck and i watched him die, blood in his mouth and everything.
if i described the entire things, thay are very disturbing.

its sad because....... after this, shortly, i had a *freak out* and was taken to a psychiatrist. where he diagnosed me with schizophrenia..... and put me on meds.....and i was on meds for a very long time.
then, i came to the conclusion i didnt need meds. and since i have been off them for 6 months now. the reason for this is because ( i actually have no choice to be VERY spirtual) the things that happen to me in every day life.....make most people afraid. ( these things scare me most of the time) but im learning to handle it.

maybe mike is just seeing the world in his dreams, the way it really is. but his mind contorts it into something that is extreamly fearful. i mean the world is a horrifying place, if you did nothing but watch the bad things in this world...you would be mentally insane.. your mind at night, makes sence of what happened during the day. you should ask him to write down his dreams. and the thing that scared him so badly....describe them, see if there are connections to whats in the dream and whats in his waking life.....maybe he has hidden issues not delt with, that even he is unaware. dreams dont lie, they are just contorted sometimes by the human imagionation:P

one more thing................we all have spirit guides. if he wants his dreams to stop, he could try this....... talk out loud to them when you are about to go to sleep. ask them to come to you in your dreams, and tell you their name....
from there.... they can make everything stop. they guard the gateway to your subconcious. and only let in the *good*.............

Closed Thread