It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
(male)

azgard HB User
swelling throat irritated mouth problems

i have been having a problem with my throat and mouth for the past week. it started several days ago with just a pain in the throat it then got worse felt like there was a big lump in the middle of my throat. It was difficualt and painfull to swallow and got burning felling in the throat when i ate like heartburn. i have never had this before. a few days later my throat felt normal again but i got these red bumps allover the roof of my mouth and tongue. my tongue hurt alot like it was burned from hot food but i did not have any thing hot like that. I went to doctors a few days ago they tested for strep and sent a sample to hospital to see if it was a infection it was negavitve. today my tongue no longer hurts the red bumps are nearly gone but i am getting the lump back in my throat. and food is becoming hard to swallow again it jsut slides down slow once it reaches the lump that has returned. anyone have any idea what this is why it would go away and come back a few days later.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User
Re: swelling throat irritated mouth problems

Acid Reflux may be the cause of your symptoms. I understand that at first, it might seem counter-intuitive, as acid is supposed to be in your stomach, right? Wrong. Acid is supposed to be in your stomach, but when the lower or upper esophageal spinchter muscles in your esophagous weaken, this can cause acid reflux. Why? These purpose of these muscles is to keep that extra-strong hydrochloric acid in your stomach, where it belongs. When they begin to fail, the acid begins creeping into your esophagous (GERD) and into your throat (LPR).

GERD is the more better known form of acid reflux, causing the common symptom heartburn. But there is a 2nd, lesser known form of acid reflux called LPR, which is short for laryngeal-pharyngeal reflux. With LPR, a much smaller amount of acid gets up your esophagous, leaves the esophagous, and goes even higher - into your throat. Your larynx is in your throat and has no natural protection agains acid. When it gets irritated, and/or, when the lining of the throat gets irritated by the acid, it typicaly produces one or both of these sympomts: 1) sensation of a lump in the throat (that won't go away) 2)chronic cough.

In addition, LPR sufferers can also have a lot of throat pain, sinus-like problems, extreme sensitivity to smells - all caused by the mucus in their sinus passages carrying and spreading that hydrochloric acid all around.

But lump in the throat and/or cough is usually the first symptom to show up. Then it begins getting worse.

There is treatment - 2 PPIs per day. A PPI is a proton-pump inhibitor. Most are sold by prescription (Nexium, Prevacic, Protonix, Aciphex) and one is sold OTC (Prilosec). Though treatment for GERD is usually one dose of a PPI per day, treatment for LPR is 2 doses of a PPI per day. Nexium is usually the most effective drug for people with LPR.

There is lots of information on LPR in the GERD message board. About 1/2 the messages are for LPR.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread