It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2006, 02:27 PM   #1

canuck11 HB User
Question regarding hospital gowns...surgery..

I will be having my first operation under general anesthesia. I figure I will be wearing a flimsy hospital gown. Do they make you take off your bra and underwear? Do they cover you with a sheet or blanket in the operating room? My surgery will be on the elbow for ulnar nerve compression. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Question regarding hospital gowns...surgery..

What you have to take off depends on the surgery and hospital policy. When I had ankle surgery I kept my underwear, lost the bra, and got special hospital socks for the one foot. When I had gallbladder surgery, I got hospital socks, but had to lose both the bra and underwear. You will most likely have to lose the bra because it goes around your chest and may interfere with the monitoring equipment or your breathing. And they will give you socks to wear.

So you show up in the pre-op area, they check your vital signs, and then you change clothes. You hop onto the bed and they give you a blanket. They start the IV and the anesthetist and doctor meet with you. Then they wheel you into surgery and you slide over onto the table and they do cover you up with a blanket. Then you wake up in recovery, still with a blanket on. And if you are cold, they'll even give you another one. The nice thing about the blankets there is that they keep them in a warmer, so they are nice and toasty.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

I must add they will keep all of you covered except for the area that is being operated on. Don't worry they will make sure that you are well covered. And yes I'm sure the bra must be off depends on the underpants though.

Old 04-14-2006, 05:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I have had five surgical procedures done and every single time,no matter where the surgery was done,everything came off under the gown.If you are undergoing any surgery that requires you to have a general anesthesia,in case of an emergent situation they need total and complete access to specific areas so they just ,in most cases,have you take everything off.Its really no biggie.you are never ever totally exposed at all during the surgery unless for some specific reason,the actual surgery you are having(can't even imagine one off hand)requires it.usually just the area to be worked on is actually the only part really exposed at all during the entire procedure.they also have to monitor your heart among other things and need to place like twelve electrodes over your chest area,so usually the bra will definitely have to go.

the thing is,they know how much patients worry about being "exposed" while under anesthesia so they DO try and minimize that specific thing to try and make the patient feel much more comfortable about that part of things.If you really want to know the actual specifics of what will and will not be actually exposed during your type of surgery,just ask your surgeon or any of the other people that will be popping in to the pre induction area to talk to you before your surgery,there will be about three to like five seperate medical people who will be speaking to you before you actually have the surgery.like the anesthesiologist and also the nurse anesthetist,a bunch of nurses and of course your surgeon.these people will be more than happy to answer any and all of your questions before you actually are taken into the OR.

They also have these really really wonderful "hot blankies"?anytime you want to or you feel cold,which just happens as the pre induction and OR areas are kept at a pretty cool temp?they will wrap you up really well in these blankets that they keep inside this big blankie warmer.that really is the best part of being in that area,they were constantly asking me if i warm enough and since i am the ultamate freeze baby,they kept em commin for me.

All in all it's not a huge terrifying experience.i know the ropes pretty well now and they all actually know me by name there in the surgical area since i have been there sooo many times and was just there again a couple days ago for yet another surgery to fix what tore after the surgery before only about a month ago.life is soo wonderful sometimes,lol.you should be just fine,really,all the nurses that I have dealt with in the pre surgical area are all really nice and easy to talk to,they know that the patients coming in are just naturally a bit apprehensive about whats about to happen to them and really do go that bit extra to try and make you as comfy as possible.I have never ever had any sort of actual 'bad' experince thu all my surgical issues,that do not appear to really want to stop anytime soon.have to go back to that same hosp yet again next month for a follow up angio on an aneurysm coiling procedure I had to have this past sept.they said they would leave my blankies a warmin in the heater.

just don't try and push things too quickly when you are recovering or you could cause yourself more problems,you know what I mean?follow all your docs orders to the letter and speak up if you feel you are being under medicated at any time.having your pain well managed is also something that will really aid your healing process.and do any and all the post op excercises they may have you do for your type of surgery.it will be a bit painful at first(this is really when you need the best possible pain control)but take things slow and easy and you should be just fine.I wish you luck on the surgery and hope all goes really well for you.FB

Old 04-14-2006, 05:23 PM   #5

canuck11 HB User

Thank you for all the tips and support. One more question. I know someone will have to pick me after the operation. My mom is planning on dropping me off. She has a bunch of errands that day and will come back later to pick me up. As for the clothes, my eyeglasses, I wear to the hospital etc, do they put them in a room or locker? I don't plan on bringing my watch etc. I know I can't wear it in the operating room.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Yeah.. they'll take care of all that for you. I'm not sure exactly where they put it during the surgery, but they hold onto it and you get it back at the end. When you go to change they give you a big plastic bag with a drawstring, and this bag is labelled with your ID info. Just don't bring anything valuable (leave jewelry and money at home). It would be rare that anything would happen, but you still wouldn't want anything to get stolen or lost.

Also, when you go to change, they give you a gown, socks, and a hat. Put on the gown and socks, but you can wait on the hat until just before you go in. No need to sit there in the pre-op area with that silly thing on. Actually, what was really funny was that I took my stuffed Eeyore in with me to both of my surgeries (they looked at me a little funny because I'm in my 20s, but I didn't care because it was really comforting), and the last one, they put a wrist-band and hat on him while I was getting changed, so he was all dressed for surgery. The nice thing about taking a stuffed animal is that they will let you take that into the OR and hold onto it until you go to sleep, so it is comforting when you have to leave whoever you came with. And then, if the nurses are really on the ball, they put it back into your arms before you wake up in the recovery room.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #7

canuck11 HB User

Thanks kehorner! I don't plan on bringing my watch or any valuables.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
(female)

storm12 HB User

When I've had surgery, they let me keep my OWN socks on (the only things!), but everything else, including earrings and bras had to come off.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:26 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck11
Thank you for all the tips and support. One more question. I know someone will have to pick me after the operation. My mom is planning on dropping me off. She has a bunch of errands that day and will come back later to pick me up. As for the clothes, my eyeglasses, I wear to the hospital etc, do they put them in a room or locker? I don't plan on bringing my watch etc. I know I can't wear it in the operating room.
They will take your things and place them in a bag for you and when you go to recovery, or room they will have your things right there for you. They will take care of it for you. Just leave all your valuables at home!

Old 05-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
(female)

PollyAnn HB User

Yes, leave everything and anything of value at home for safekeeping.

But make sure you bring ID with you - I bring a 'COPY" of my driver's license.
As for your eyeglasses bring an eyeglass case so your glasses don't get scratched. I once had mine put in a big baggy with my clothes and they rubbed up against my pants zipper and scratched.

Good Luck!

Old 05-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Hmm...they didn't give me a hat or socks! I took a book to read and my glasses and they put all that in the bag with my clothes and locked it up till I got back from recovery. They take very good care of your stuff. And they'll just pull your arm out to operate on it...nothing else will be exposed. I hate to think what was exposed on me when I had my GB out!

Closed Thread