It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

Betty56 HB User
Exclamation Right Side Pain

I am 49-yr. old female. I have been having a severe pain in my right side just at my waist line since August 05. It felt like a "runner's cramp" but hurts all the time and I had severe burning. It's neither front or back - it's directly at my side just where I put my hand on my waist/hip when I'm mad. I went to ER and was told I had kidney stones and a teratoma on my right ovary. I saw urologist first and he said although I did have a kidney stone in each kidney, they were not moving. He suggested that I had a pulled muscle. The pain continued and in October I had the teratoma removed but kept the ovary. The pain continued. My husband and I felt sure that I had a hernia. My primary physician wanted me to go to pain management but I wanted a diagnosis. So PP did a gallbladder ultrasound which was normal. She then sent me to a surgeon. The surgeon did blood work (sent to Mayo Clinic), CT scan, gallbladder emptying scan, MRCP test, endoscopy/colonoscopy and full body bone scan. All came back normal. I did have slight elevation in my liver panel but nothing abnormal. The surgeon sent me back to primary physician who finally convinced me to go to pain management. Pain doctor assumes it is nerve ending problems. I have had one steroid shot and two pain blocks by x-ray. I return to pain management in 1 month. I continue to have the pain - it is constant with periods of severity. I am taking Tramadol for the pain but it only takes the edge off, it does not fix the pain. I've had several people tell me that they experienced the same problem, had gallbladder surgery, but continue to have the pain. I am at my wit's end. The only symptom of a gallbladder attack is my pain. I don't have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fatty foods does not bring on the pain, no fever. I have not missed work except for doctor visits - but I can't afford to lose my job because my husband is out of work and I'm carrying the insurance on my family. What in the world could it be??

The following user gives a hug of support to Betty56:
babyava (10-28-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
(female)

DX- HB User
Re: Right Side Pain

Betty,

There are a couple of things that stand out -- I have no idea if they will or won't be helpful, but they are, at least, something....

First -- you said the urologist told you you have kidney stones, but they aren't moving? How could he tell? If you take one snapshot of something, then you have no idea whether it's moving or not. So -- perhaps you can get ahold of the films and ask for another urologist's opinion -- or -- ask for a second test to see if they are in the same place. Also -- kidney stones get exploded by sound or shockwaves these days -- no incision -- so is there any reason to keep them when they are a possible cause?

Pain doctor -- assumes it's a nerve ending problem? Perhaps you can find a second opinion pain doctor?

Another thought. You said that you get spikes in the severity of the pain. Try keeping a journal of those spikes and see if you can identify any triggers. Foods? Exercise?

The only other thing I can suggest is ergonomics. Several years ago, I used to get a pain in my lower back and it was excruciating. I finally tried sitting in a different chair when I sat at my computer -- and it went away. Somehow the old chair just wasn't right -- and it took its toll on my lower back. If you have a certain chair you sit in for hours each day -- just try a different one.

Good luck to you. Please let us know how you make out.

The following user gives a hug of support to DX-:
babyava (10-28-2010)
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
(female)

Betty56 HB User

If it was my liver,would I not be yellow?

Old 06-05-2006, 01:55 AM   #4
(female)

yvon5965 HB User

wow this sounds a lot like the pain im dealing with! i have this pain on my right side... just like if you put your hand on your side its about where your thumb would be. does not in no way hurt to touch. it's sharp with a lot of activity...will stop you in yor tracks. it just takes my breath away then eases off, pain meds barely takes the edge off. had a colonoscopy...was ok. gallbladder test showed no gallstones but they say its not working but 6 percent. i guess i will have that removed but don't feel too confident thats the problem. i had pain when they did gallbladder test and got very nausiated but was totally different. at my wits end here. good luck .

Old 06-21-2006, 01:25 PM   #5
(female)

Betty56 HB User
Angry Re: Right Side Pain

UPDATE: I had another gallbladder emptying scan a few weeks ago ordered by my PP which showed "partial" blockage. My PP sent me back to a surgeon who specializes in gallbladders. I walked into his office and sat down and he said "you don't have a gallbladder problem, i suspect it's a hernia." That's what I've thought it was all along! He did send me for another CAT scan yesterday and will have the results in a few days. My sister wants to know if I'm MAD because every doctor I saw since my initial ER visit in Aug. 2005, I asked if it could be a hernia, every test I had, I asked technician if it would show a hernia. I have had thousands of dollars of scans and tests done over the past 6 months. If this turns out to be a hernia, yes, I'm going to be MAD. But that's not going to do any good. I'll just be relieved to know what it is and get it taken care of. I'm tired of pharmacists and doctors acting like I'm a pain pill junkie. I'll be happy to give up the pain pills for the life I had before August of 2005!!

Old 08-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #6
(female)

Linda51 HB User

I was wondering if you have indeed confirmed that your pain was caused by a hernia. It has been awhile since your last posting and I'm hoping you finally discovered the cause. I, too, have been experiencing right side pain for over a year and a half. Your description of a runner's cramp describes it exactly. My liver enzymes were elevated and I had a liver biopsy in addition to other scans, MRI, etc. But no answers. So I try to ignore it. It seems to hurt more when sitting, bending, etc. I, too, suspect a hernia and would love to know your final diagnosis.

Closed Thread