It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #1

flyb_2 HB User
Smile New procedure for vericose veins

I did post this as a response to the sclerotherapy post but I wanted to post this where people may view this and perhaps benefit from the info. I didn't know how to remove the other post.

I am not sure if the procedure is new everywhere, but I know it is new to our area. I just (on April 19th) had VNUS closure procedure done for my vericose veins. The procedure is supposed to take care of your circulatory problem, not just the result(vericose veins). What they first did is an ultrasound on my legs to check where the valve problem was. They focus on two areas: the greater saphenous(sp?) and the lesser saphenous veins. They test to see how quickly your blood is refilling when your leg is squeezed. The results are supposed to happen in 1/2 a second. One of my legs tested at 5 seconds, the other at 10. The procedure is an outpatient procedure, it took about 2 hours for both legs to be done. You are sedated, not put out, and local anesthesia is used on your legs (I had virtually no pain during the whole thing other than feeling a needle ***** or two). They punctured the inside of my leg, just at the knee (my surgery was dealing with the greater vein). They then feed a probe up the vein and send ultrasonic(?) waves and collapse the vein as they back the probe out. I was up on my feet within an hour of surgery and walked to the car. There was some bruising and swelling but within 24 hours things felt pretty normal. The bruises and incisions are obviously still sore for a while. I went back to work (which is on my feet) on Saturday and Sunday...3 days later. I have notice the vein in my left leg has seemed to recede already and the one in my right leg has not been as painful. The procedure is supposed to eliminate the faulty valves and allow your circulation to flow properly. The vericose veins (and spider veins) should recede. My doc says 2 out of 3 people are happy both medically and cosmetically. It is so much less intrusive, I wanted to start here. It is about as stressful on your circulatory system as walking a couple flights of stairs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
(female)

Texanne HB User
Re: New procedure for vericose veins

That is good to know. I have wanted sclerotherapy, but I don't think that my insurance will pay. Someday, maybe...

Closed Thread