It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
(male)

newbee1 HB User
Medical records error

First of all apologies if this is being posted on the wrong kind of forum, but I am having a devil of a job trying to locate any advice or information. I hope someone will be able to help.

I recently received a call from my GP to say my records had been flagged due to me being sectioned under the mental health act for phsychotic episodes in 2001
To cut a long story short, it became obvious that it was an error. I initially tried to see the funny side but after some thinking, I realised that an error of this kind could potentially have some serious implications. None more than the fact my job requires a fairly detailed security clearance and if something like this was flagged I could lose my job.

I have made an informal request to view my records and the GP practice are being very helpful in getting it arranged asap (I go in next week).

My question is, what sort of things should I be looking for and also what questions should I be asking. The obvious ones I have thought of are:

- Have I been given all the information in my records.
- When was this information entered into my records
- Who entered it
- Why was it entered
- How was the error found
- Who else has access to my records (other government depts?)

I am extremely concerned about this kind of information being associated with my records and although the practice is being extremely helpful, I am concerned about where else this information has managed to deposit itself.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks

DS

Last edited by newbee1; 05-26-2006 at 04:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2006, 05:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Medical records error

speak directly with your doc and ask HIM these questions,you do need to know whether or not this was just accidently etered into your records perhaps by the doc hinself(thinking about another possible patient at the time he was yacking into his little tape recorder)or even the transcriptionist.but at any rate,you are very very right about this possibly becomming some sort of an issue down the road for you.this does need to be removed from your files as soon as possible.just speak directly with your doc about this and no one else first.

the responsibility for what is actually in anyones medical file is really all on the docs shoulders.if something is not right,it is up to HIM to make sure that this is corrected.as far as I know,he is also the only one with the authority to even do any real permanent changes to your actual records for any reason.I wish you luck.hopefully this staff will continue to be helpful to you.let me know how it all goes.FB

Old 05-26-2006, 05:26 AM   #3
(male)

newbee1 HB User

The doctor has assured me that the information, which consisted of a single letter, has been removed from my file and deleted from my computer record.
My concern mainly is where else this information may be being held and how I can ensure that nothing rears its ugly head in the future.

Thanks
DS

Old 05-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #4
(female)

jcjwillis HB User

Hi,
Just a thought have you gone to any other doctors, hospitals for any reason where they may have requested your medical records? Although, they usually have you sign a release for your records. If you haven't signed any releases the chances are pretty good that your records have not gone anywhere else.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
(male)

newbee1 HB User

Nope, not been to any other doctors or hospitals. In fact I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times I have been to the doctor in my lifetime!!

Closed Thread