It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
(male)

lilnervous HB User
oral baruim contrast side effects?

hey i just had a ct of my abs to rule out a possiable appendititis ( sorry spelling ) at 1:00 pm est on 6-2 i finished drinking the proper dose of oral barium solution for the ct scan at first i felt fine stomach was a little upset but a few hours later i was having conversations with my stomach it was so loud well here it is over 24 hrs later and still feel alittle upset... stomach still churns sick to my stomach not too too bad but doesnt feel good and i have slight cramping again nothing severe but still alarming just wondering if anybody had a reaction like this or should i be a little nervous??

Old 06-04-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
(female)

agurl79 HB User
Re: oral baruim contrast side effects?

I've had the oral barium contrast several times, and have had symptoms like yours.. eventually though the contrast works its way through and is excreted in your bowel movements.. don't be alarmed when that happens, your BM will be white in color. It is best to increase fluids to speed it along, you don't want that contrast staying in too long as it can harden. there were a few times when my doc had me take a laxative to speed it along even more. Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2006, 08:27 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

I start taking the barium contrast today for a ct tomorrow. It is good to have this information!!!!! DId you do pelvis and abdomen or what? I have pelvic/abdomen and also i thinki they are doing the dye as well. did they do that to you? i am going to drink a ton of fluid to hopefully flush it out of me ASAP!!!!!! Any other suggestions?

Old 06-05-2006, 11:59 AM   #4
(male)

lilnervous HB User

hey i wish you all the best i had mine done of the pelvis and abdomen i also had the injection which i didnt have any effect what so over i didnt feel warm or anything no funny tast but the baruim sucks..lol..im finally feeling better today everything seems to be in order and my ct was perfect so im good to go i also drank a bunch of water i it seems to help i was blocked up thats for sure..lol..well again i hope all the best if i can help in any way just ask : )

Old 06-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

thanks, i am goig to drink water up until the exam. I drink a gallon a day as it is, and i eat alot of fiber so hopefully i will not have the same problem.I am glad to hear yours came out perfect! I will let you know what happens. Was it scary or no?

Closed Thread