It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
(female)

does any1 know HB User
Red face After surgery: bicep fell /ripped out of screw ...???

Hubby had surgery in Nov. had a list of things surgeon was to do . two of the things
rotator cuff tear and bicep rupture were on the list but not done. After Nov surgery he started Physical therapy. It started to hurt and was declining ROM. THey Did another MRI with dye it showed hmm yep rotator cuff tear and bicep rupture. Hubby was sceduled for surgery may19th (which 2 hours before surgery I get a phone call my Sis had died) anywho.. surgeon says surgery went ok and he put in a calcium screw and to get to Physical Therapy. which he went 4-5 days after surgery.On June 1 we went to post opp appt. hubby told him then he had a major cramp/charliehorse and that it has been hurting since then and that there was a lump in that area now. He gave him muscle relaxers and we left.

Last week we go in again .It is still hurting and the buldge is still prominent (sp) It was Surgeons assitant he fiddle with his arm then just walked out of the room didnt say anything just walked out . He came back with surgeon. surgeon fiddles with it..stands back folds his arms and say" ahh dont worry about it its fine..hows your rom in your shoulder?" hubby says P.T. says rom is ok where it should be. BUT my arm is killing me. he again said not to worry . He had his back to us hand on the door and I asked "but what is making it do that?" He turned and fold his arms again and said "WeLLLL I am thinkin the bicep ripped out of the screw and is bundled at the bottom" (of his upper arm). Dont worry about it you dont need it anyway. He was not going to tell us...If I hadnt asked that he would have walked right out the door. The assitant had his head down after surgeon walked out. I go"WHy did we even have the surgery done if it was no big deal?" he goes well we did clean up some frays in there on the labrum(sp) i said he was just in surgery in Nov what was left to clean up?? he fumbled around and then we just left..in shock. I called workmens comp and they said to get a second opinion. I called all around our area.."no one will touch us"(their words) because of liability (wont rat on their collegue) I call surgeon back and ask for them to write up a second opinion . Nurse says No L& I needed to do it and then she laughed hehehe "Good luck finding someone!"
well we did finally find someone.

sorry this is so long but anywho...HUbby wants it fixed ..surgeon says Im not going back in there. Another dr in that clinic say she thinks he doesnt want to go in a third time..HUbbys eyes just snap "ITS not MY fault he went in there twice.

Hubby is in pain.

On his first surgery in Nov. it said "the superior surface of the biceps was entirely normal and it felt like at least 80% of tendon was normal,with just some undersurface degenation and fraying which was debrided" then in May surgery his findings were There was fraying , basically shredding, of the undersurface of the labrum from the posterior-superior to the anterior superior portions. The biceps tendon initially looked to be in better condition than what we had seen. However, when a probe was used to inspect the inferior surface, longitudinal tearing and intrasubstance degerneration were noted to be quite severe. After we had detached the biceps and got a good look at it from the exterior surface, we found that the diameter of the intraarticular portion was nearly twice that of the tendon within the bicipital groove and distally. This whole area was quite hard compared to the normal tendon substance, more like a cartilagginous material than a tendon

my question/thought is ..wouldnt he have seen this in his Nov sugery..or at least shouldnt he have seen it then.

Hubby doesnt want to live with a deformed arm and in pain....I cant find any cases of a calcium screw/bicep surgery that is like hubbys that ripped out(after surgery).

Does anyone know??? anything about this...thanks in advance for your help.

Hubby is 44 and has left arm perminant partial disabled already.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
(female)

does any1 know HB User
Re: After surgery: bicep fell /ripped out of screw ...???

also ...sorry new here but I cant get the this thread stuck to the top. I keep clicking on it and it doesnt pop down...

Old 07-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Administrator
(female)

Administrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB User

Hi,
I am sorry for the hassles you have been going through. This board is for doing your own research not asking if anyone knows about the problem.
I am moving your post to the Open to All Topic Board.

Only moderators may "stick" posts at the top of the list. New posts automatically go to the top of the post list underneath the sticky posts.

Email contact - adminmod@healthboards.com
Please read the FAQ before emailing.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

liz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB Userliz49 HB User

Ok--man, how awful for both of you!! My hubby had a SLAP repair (kind of similar to what you went through) and his shoulder was totally immobilized for 6 weeks. Any therapy was done by ME, doing all the lifting and such. After 6 weeks, he had a serious noodle arm---BUT he came back with tons of PT and hard work. His rom is better than his right arm (his right shoulder needs work but NO WAY would he undergo that again.
NO! You should not have to live with this outcome.
#1: I hate to say this and I don't say it 'cause my son's an attorney, but GET YOURSELF AN ATTORNEY NOW!
#2: If you can possibly find another dr to take a look at his arm--this is serious business here! You likely will hit some brick walls because the drs all stick together like glue--esp surgeons--covering each other's rear ends. You may have to go to another city or even state.
#3 don't put it off--every day that screw sits there it's healing in that position and I can't imagine it doing any good there.....plus the lack of rom of your hubby's arm--this is total negligence on the drs part.
#4 be tenacious and stick with getting results--I know it can be frustrating but you have to be your own advocate..get all your medical info that you can and find another doc--pronto. If you're willing to travel I know a great shoulder surgeon in Salt Lake.

So sorry about your sister...it never rains but it pours!

Last edited by liz49; 07-05-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Closed Thread