It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #1

blacktoothgrin HB User
Exclamation Underweight?

Hello. Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. My girlfriend has always been thin, shes about 5'2", but a few weeks ago, she told me she was 96 lbs. I was a little worried about this, but she said it was alright, and not to worry about it. Tonight, she just told me that shes 93 lbs, but still says not to worry. Its really hard not to worry about this. I'm sure she thinks I'm paranoid about it, and maybe I am..it just doesn't sound healthy to me. She says she'll get help if she gets into the 80's, but i just think thats too low, especially because she is not active. Am I right in being concerned?

Last edited by blacktoothgrin; 06-29-2006 at 09:26 PM.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User
Re: Underweight?

you are right with being concerned! It really does sound like she has an eating disorder, though i cannot diagnose her as i am not a professional. Have you told her how worried you are? Maybe that would help some, if not im sure the people on the Eating Disorders board can help you out some further (heading to bed right now).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

If your girlfriend is very young in the 90's is not that unusual, what worries me is the obsession with the exact weight. The fact that she told you the exact number, after all, most people will vary a pound or two depending on a number of factors, like when they last ate. It's also very disturbing that she is intending to go into the 80's, and the fact that she is anticipating that she will need help. Best of luck.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:28 AM   #4

blacktoothgrin HB User

Thank you for your replies. I did talk to her a lot about this tonight, right before i posted my original message. I told her i was worried, and it would be best if she saw a doctor, but she says its nothing. She is completely honest when she says she is not trying to lose weight, its just happening. when she mentioned going into the 80s, that wasnt a goal, she said she will get help for sure if her weight drops to the 80s. we are both 18, if that helps any. she says shes not really hungry, and when she does get hungry she cant eat much. does anyone know if her current weight at 93lbs, and her height of 5'2, would be classified as underweight or dangerously underweight? Thank you all in advance

Old 06-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wiredqs HB User

She has a BMI of 17, normal for adults is 18.5 to 24, but she is still a teenager. But if she has no appetite and is loosing weight even when she isn't trying, she should get a general checkup just to make sure that her health is ok.

You mentioned that she isn't very active, that could be why she isn't hungry. Maybe you could find some fun activity to improve her appetite.
Best of Luck.

Old 07-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

OK. I am 47 yrs young, 5'1"..weight 102....I have never weighed over 105 except when I was pregnant. I can eat all day long and not gain but 2-3 pounds. I am VERY active. I never sit down for long. Your girlfriend has conditioned her stomach to only hold so much food. she needs to double her calorie intake...milkshakes, eat 5-6 small meals a day...it's habit...that's all it is. She needs to really count her calories and increase them!!!!

Old 07-06-2006, 06:21 AM   #7
(female)

Bubblegum989 HB User

That is way too little for her height, even is she is small framed. I'm 5'1 and weigh about 105 and am small framed. At 5'2" she should probably be weighing around 110, maybe even more. When I was in high school I averaged at about 98, however, I believe I was down to 88 pounds at one point. I did not have an eating disorder and in no way tried to weigh that little. I later discovered I had mono and it was likely due to that. She may actually have a medical problem and should discuss this with her doctor. If she does, a large number of things could be causing her to lose weight.

While the 88 pounds was likely caused by the mono, 98 was still a little bit underweight. I know a few pounds doesn't sound like a whole lot, but at this height, a few pounds make a huge difference. Since I have been out on my own, I have gained more weight and have leveled off at about 105. I have attributed this to the fact that now I get to choose what to eat. What did my parents eat?? Lowfat, diet food. Everyone but me in my family was always trying to lose weight. I would eat enough to physically be full, but it just didn't have enough calories to keep the weight on.

And, she may also have an eating disorder. She really should see her doctor so she can be checked for any imbalances and other problems, and also discuss her regular diet with her doctor.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
(female)

Miss P. HB User

5'2" with a small frame should be about 108-121 pounds.

It does sound like she's a little underweight, but unconcerned (as too many girls strive to be scrawny). I agree that she should see a doctor if she feels hungry but cannot eat a lot (IMO probably because her stomach has shrunk from lack of eating regularly)...but you can't force her to.

If you start to notice some bizarre eating patterns (not eating at all, going to bathroom after you two eat), or she drops a lot of weight and then does not seek help on her own, I would get more concerned and possibly contact her family/parents about your concerns.

Last edited by Miss P.; 07-06-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Closed Thread