It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

brownowl HB User
Infection in the spine

Has anyone ever heard of having an infection in your spine? I received a call from my doctor and she said that I have a possible infection in my spine based on a blood test they did -- high WBC, high SED rate, high CRP. They are going to schedule a CT scan and may have to do some other things, depending on the scan information. How do they diagnose this? How do they treat this???

Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Infection in the spine

i am rather curious as to just how they came to this conclusion with the infection being in your spine based on just plain blood tests that could indicate a problem in many other areas??this just really sounds rather odd to me anyways.

instead of a CT i would definitely ask for them to do a contrasted MRI instead.the CT just cannot compare with the overall in depth look a contrasted MRI would provide.it would just be the best choice in my opinion since if there IS actually anything significant that shows,they would most likely be sending you for that MRI anyway,this just speeds things up a bit and would give your docs much needed info that much sooner.

i just don't get the bloodwork/spinal connection there at all.were you showing any actual symptoms that would have lead them in the spinal direction or what?you need to find that part out.i would also like to know that one myself.

you also need to be seeing an actual neurosurgeon for this if what they mentioned about the infection is actually true.I still wonder just what would actually show on an MRI here.

your just going to have to wait and see how this plays out before you can really start to answer the questions you posted,you know what I mean?most infections are normally treated with some sort of an anti biotic depending on the type of infection you would have.other than that,being in a spinal cord,who really knows for sure.your just going to have to hang in there for a while til the tests are completed on you.then look at what to do from there.

but I would most definitely want the best clearest pics of the spinal area and that would be with a contrasted MRI and not a CT.just speak with your doc about that.please keep me posted here as to how things are going,i am really really curious as to how they came to the conclusion they did without ever actually looking at the spine and only going by bloodwork alone.FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
(female)

brownowl HB User

The reason they are leaning toward infection in the spine/spinal column is because I've got this pain in my back that is in the ribs and up the spine.
At times, I can hardly walk or move. They are looking at many things. I was in a car accident last year and they think I broke all the ribs on the right side, which is where it is hurting. But then I have this pain in my neck to my ear on the right side, which they thought was an infection and believe it may have passed also to my spine. They tried to do an MRI and they are unable to get good pictures. They told me and the doctor that I give off some kind of interference and are unable to get diagnostic pictures. So the doctor has decided on the CT scan to analyze the spine. The pain is getting worse every day. If I lay down and don't move it seems to be ok, but as soon as I move or try to sit up -- it is very hard to sit up without terrific pain. I just don't know what it is and the doctors don't have a clue either. Does anyone have any clues what it is -or- what I should do??

Old 07-29-2006, 05:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I have never heard of an individual giving off some sort of an interferrance just with their body alone.thats a bit bizzarre in itself,really.i would most definitely want to know more about THAT alone if I were you.thats just a bit too wierd.i cannot even imagine what in the heck would cause that from just your body physiology.you need to find out what in the heck thats all about.this could also be a small or large part of the issues you are having.

how many attempts were made with trying the MRI before you were told this by the doc?could it be just the place you are going for the MRIs and they don't seem to know what the heck they are doing?have you had one a differnt facility just to make sure that thats not the actual problem?

i am just wondering as over the ast five years I have had to have over 16 MRIs and just from my experience with having so many done,i have had some of the best clearest films done and some that you could barely make out.it all depends on the tech who is doing the films as to how well they will actually turn out.I just cannot even imagine this actually happening.

you DO need some answers as to why this doc thinks it is you that is the problem and an explanation as to why this is.if what he told you is actually somehow really true,you definietly should not just blow this off.hope you can find out more definitive answers with a CT,not anywhere near as good as he contrasted MRI but if thats all you have,well.. good luck and look into that "interferrance thing".keep me posted,FB

Old 07-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
(female)

brownowl HB User

That is why I found it so strange. I've had 3 previous MRIs done at this same place and they were readable -- not the best quality, but still readable. They tried for 3 hours to get an image, each one was totally unreadable. That is why it puzzles me -- interference?? how could I cause them interference. I just need someone to get to the bottom of this. I've got a fever, constantly sweating, can't sleep and feel sick most of the time. They've scheduled a CT scan on Thursday without Contrast. I know IV contrast helps, but I'm deathly allergic to the stuff, normally they give me benedryl and prednisone so they can use contrast. But the doctor feels that it is hiding what is causing it. I do feel better when I take the prednisone, but then it comes right back worse than before. I'm just really tired.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

You may have "inflammation" in your body for some reason. I personally have a problem right now with inflammation all over my body, concentrating in various areas, usually areas where injury has occurred in the past. Inflammation can cause pain just existing or more pain when moving. It can be agony.

Have they had you take an anti-inflammatory? I started LIMBREL 250 mg., a prescription, about 2 weeks ago and already feel results. I cannot take Motrin, Aleeve, or other oral anti-inflammatory meds. So far the Limbrel has no side effects for me. Limbrel is a new medication and I hope it is safe.

Closed Thread