It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
(female)

Beekermlady HB User
Sweating...Anyone?

Hello, Everyone.

I am new to this board, but I've been around Healthboards for awhile now. These boards are so helpful when you are running out of people to ask about your problems.

One of my main problems is sweating. I am a 20-yr old female, in generally good health. I am overweight, but not obese. My entire life I have sweated more then normal under my arms, no matter what the temperature in the room I was in was. It has led me to embarrassment most of my life, but I have coped, and learned to switch my deordorants more frequently helps to keep the sweating at bay.

More recently though, I have developed night sweats. Near the end of the summer (around August, in NJ) of last year I started waking up drenched in sweat. I never really wore heavy night clothes to bed, and slept with only a top sheet, and the AC on full blast. I was concerned, but it ended somewhere around mid-Sept. last year. I thought it was over and done with.

On June 9th, of this year I had my right ankle operated on. I was on pain meds for less than a week (because I didn't want to continue taking them, for fear of addiction) and I just stopped taking them. The very first night off of the meds the night sweats started again. The next day, after a horrible 2 hours of sleep, I mentioned it to my mother. She told me it was probably just my body going through detox, as I had had a mixture of a few different pain meds over abou 6 days. I accepted her idea and decided to go with it. The night sweats lasted a little over a week, and were accompanied by periods of dizziness during the day (not a good thing when you are on crutches), but eventually they subsided.

Again, around the middle of July, the night sweats started again. I started reading up on it on the computer and saw that it may be caused from spicy food. Three days in a row I had eaten spicy food for dinner and three days in a row I woke up soaked in sweat. I stopped eating spicy food but the night sweats continued for another week. Then they suddenly stopped.

I thought I was in the clear until this week. For the past three nights I have woken up covered in sweat. Last night was the worst. I slept the first half of the night without a shirt on, hoping that would help, but it seemed to make it worse. When I woke up around 2 AM I put a light cotton shirt on and went back to bed. I woke up again around 10 AM and the shirt was covered in sweat down to my belly button. I wiped my head and my hand was dripping wet. I got a cool drink and sat for awhile, cleaned myself up and put on a fresh shirt. I was up all day after that.

Tonight, as I am going to sleep, I brought a thermometer into my room with me, so I can take my temp if/when I wake up sweating. I have made my room as cool as possible and am sleeping in the lightest clothing available. I just also want to mention that I have tracked this along with my menstrual cycle and there is no evidence that it happens at a certain time during the month.

Okay, so a few questions. Firstly, anybody have any ideas what might be causing this? I have no other symptoms of illness. Any similar cases? And if the only advice that you have is to see a doc, what kind of doc do you recommend? I have held off going to one, because I really don't know who would be best to handle this situation. I also have had some problems with my Primary Care doc, as he has told me numerous times that there is nothing wrong, or that I just have a cold!

Well, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

-Britt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Sweating...Anyone?

It is time to find a new doctorl one who is "interested".

Have you been checked for thyroid problems?

Have you been checked for diabetes?

Have you had your FSH checked? pertains to female hormones.

It is possible to go into early menopause. Menopause does not happen all at once, it is usually a gradual thing. I had symptoms in my early 30's.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
(female)

rag_doll HB User

WOW!!! Can I ever relate. I sweat at night, I sweat during the day. You need to see an endocrinologist if your doctor cannot help you. I will tell you about my situation, and some things that have helped somewhat.
I am 49. I am diabetic, but have my blood sugars well under control. I was diagnosed as having fibromyalgia. My doctor said that is one of the symptoms reported for FMS, but I was checked thoroughly for thyroid and hormone deficiencies, all is normal, except I am in peri-menopausal stage. The thing that helped me most is this..I quit the use of ANYTHING that contains aspartame. I used to drink 6 0r 7 cans of diet soda a day. Since quitting, within 10 days, the sweating has decreased enormously. I still have my moments, but I think that between the FMS, and the aspartame, my poor body was cooking, although I never did run a temperature while sweating. Quite the opposite. I always had cold chills. Hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
(female)

lovebeingsahm HB User

Hi, I too sweat alot. I am 48 and think it is menopause. I found that drinking Danactive drinks once a day really has reduced my sweating. It also helped my IBS.

Closed Thread