It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
(male)

andrew123 HB User
Question burning sensation in left arm

I recently developed a burning sensation in my left arm. It started out in my forearm and has spread to part of my left hand. I thought it may have just been a result of working on my computer to much, but when i researched i realized that it was a little more serious because normally if that was the case, it would have already went away.Also, anytime i put something semi-cold on my arm, it feels like it is absolutely freezing. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me possibly what the problem is i could be having. thank you

Last edited by andrew123; 08-21-2006 at 01:46 PM.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Katey H. HB User
Lightbulb Re: burning sensation in left arm

Reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSDS) is a complex disorder characterized by multiple symptoms that affect many systems of the human body. The primary symptom of RSDS is burning pain in the distal extremities of the body (feet, hands) but the syndrome has been localized to other regions such as the chest cavity and the organs within. RSDS has been known to be present in more than one area of the body and can spread from the region where it originated. Loss of feeling in these areas usually accompanies RSDS and, if not treated properly, loss of the ability to move these areas can eventually set in, especially in appendages. RSDS symptoms usually appear after a traumatic episode such as surgery, although anything can set it off.
I hope this information helps!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: burning sensation in left arm

I think RSD may be a bit of a strech here unless you recently had some sort of a tramatic event or surgery.i have RSD in my R knee on down thru my foot which developed after a spinal cord surgery which damaged my sympathetic nervous system(a really good trigger for RSD).what you explained tho most definitely appears to be nerve related in some way.

are you currently having any other symptoms besides what you have aleready stated here such as tingling in your fingers or any other types of nerve related sensations or pains?any neck problems at all?

there is another condition very similar to RSD called central pain syndrome which unfortunetly,i also have but this is in my L arm up under the armpit and over both shoulder blades.this was also caused by the same spinal cord surgery except i awoke from the surgery in the recovery room with this burny stingy crap.this resulted from damage to the spinothalamic tract within the cord itself.central pain can also stem from any sort of affectation to the thalamus in the brain as well. the fact that this just 'appeared" out of no where,well it does need further evaluation by someone who knows the spine and brain,and the best bet would be a neurosurgeon.i would skip a neurologist entirely.but I am getting a bit ahead here.i would make an appt with your primary for a neuro eval and he/she will most likely send you for an MRI on the brain and the spinal cord,just the c and upper T spine would be enough considering where your symptoms are.

you could have some sort of disc issue or some sort of vascular malformation within the brain itself that cvould be affecting the thalamus.

if you could give a bit of a medical history as far as any recent surgerys or injuries you may have sustained at some point it would really help alot.but i am pretty certain that this is really being caused by nerve affectation somewhere,the key here is to find out exactly where that is.

you DO need to have this evaluated.'something" is causing the symptoms you are having.please keep me posted,K?i hope i didn't freak you out or anything,these are just the things that I am aware of that could be a possible cause for your symptoms.do a bit of research on central pain syndrome and see how your symptoms match up.this will help also when talking to your doc.just a suggestion.good luck,FB

Old 08-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: burning sensation in left arm

You may have rotator cuff problems and experiencing transferred pain in the upper arm. I have this at present. Mine was not caused by injury, too much exercise, just plain living.

Last edited by Misty800; 08-28-2006 at 08:39 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Misty800:
sudhakaran9 (01-02-2012)
Closed Thread