It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 03:37 AM   #1
(female)

Grace.1030 HB User
Question Please Help, Fecal Impaction worries

I've been having unusual digestive behavior lately, and I'm really concerned. About two weeks ago I had a busy weekend and only used the bathroom once in a four day period. Afterward instead of having a large bowel movement, like I expected, I started having strained "pencil-like" bowel movements that were about half the amount that I would normally pass in a day. This went on for about 3 days and then I tried an enema, which really didn't work that well, just a very small bm. The next day I drank about 6.5 oz. of magnesium citrate. Throughout the entire day I was having liquid bowel movements about every half hour. Since then I've still been having very strained small "pencil-like" bowel movements. I've also been having a naustious feeling off and on every few days. I have the feeling that I haven't cleared myself and I get abdominal cramps that come and go. Another thing that may have contributed to this is that I've been having an incredible amount of anxiety over this, and I can't tell if the nausea I've been having is due to the extreme anxiety or if the anxiety is causing my bowel problems all together, I've also have had trouble sleeping and a loss of appitite, which I think might also be from the anxiety I've had over this issue. I'm worried that I may have a fecal impaction. Overall it's been almost 3 wks. since I've had a normal bowel movement. Please could you give me some suggestions on what might be wrong or what I might do to try and fix this problem, I'm desprite.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Please Help, Fecal Impaction worries

The best bet would to see your doctor and have him or her check to see if you have normal bowel sounds and perhaps you may need additional tests. Your problem could be a result of many different conditions such as IBS or Colitis, it is really hard to pinpoint just one. Straining and have small bm's can often be a result of hemorhoids. You should not strain as it will cause further complications.

Have you tried increasing the fiber in your diet? Individuals who have problems with constipation should have at least 30 grams of fiber daily. Natural fiber from foods as opposed to pills is the best option. Also drinking lots of water is just as important.

Have you changed your diet lately or started taking new medications? Changes in either can result in severe constipation as well as nausea. The anxiety can definately cause problems with sleep and apetite.

Please see a doctor instead of trying to fix the problem yourself.

Closed Thread