It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
(female)

MoeXO HB User
Open wound on my ankle...

Hi, I'm new to these boards. I had ankle surgery 6 weeks ago. I had a plate and 7 screws taken out of my ankle from a wreck 6 years prior. The plate and screws started bothering me, so my Doctor suggested that I have them removed. After 4 weeks, the ankle stayed swollen, so I went back to him. I have two incisions, one on the outside of my ankle that required a lot more staples than the one on the inside of my ankle, that only had 3 staples. The incision on the inside bothers me all the time. It's constantly open, and I constantly have to wear a bandage on it, because I have to wear a "boot" in order not to break my ankle. I don't know what to do. I went and seen my Doctor about 2 weeks ago, and he told me my pain tolerance was low..so I feel kinda silly bothering him with this. I have an appt. to see him on the 7th to get it xrayed, and I'll definatly mention it to him, but for now, I'd like to know what is going on with this...I don't remember ever having this problem when I had the plate and screws put in. I guess I just don't understand why the incision on the outside, which is much larger has healed fine, but the smaller one has not.

BTW, before I seen him at 4 weeks after surgery, my husband told me the wound was infected, and that I should pour peroxide on it, until it quits bubbling, well, after doing that, my Doctor informed me that I had "burned" the tissue around the wound...does this have anything to do with it?

I'm just frustrated I guess, and would like to know if this is normal. I feel like a big baby calling my Doctor, since he's already pretty much told me that I'm a baby!

Any help is muchly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Open wound on my ankle...

An open incision is not called low pain tolerance, it is good reason to have pain.

The incision should be checked for infection and treated accordingly. I have used pereoxide until it quit foaming for many, many years on cuts, scrapes, etc. and did not burn the tissue. I am not saying this cannot take place, but it did not in my case.

Are you putting an antibiotic on the incision? If so, is it helping or hindering the healing process?

Do you pad the area well, more than a bandage, to protect it from the boot? Soft padding might give some relief while it is healing. The outside incision may not have the same pressure points from the boot as the inside incision does.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
(female)

MoeXO HB User
Re: Open wound on my ankle...

Thank you so much for your responce.

Yes, I'm putting Neosporin on the incision, and keeping it covered. The boot doesn't really rub the area, it's rather loose actually. I have a Doctor appointment tomorrow, I'm going to ask him about it. I guess it's just slow healing. I have seen no healing improvement in the last 2 weeks or so, it's not getting worse, but not better, just kinda idle. I won't be able to wear a shoe that has a back to it until it heals, because the place where it's at, a shoe rubs right on it, and it hurts, kinda burns.

Closed Thread