It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 01:06 AM   #1
(male)

vibrato HB User
Cool pain, numbness in waves from vertebra to right fingers

Occasional waves of pain & numbness from roughly T1 vertebra through scapula, triceps down right arm to fingers. Lasts 30 seconds or so, could be more. Happens 40- 60 times daily especially if stretching or moving in certain ways. Symptoms are present though less extreme most of the time.
Otherwise very healthy 57 year old. 3-4 weeks ago did 4 hours gardening, pulled some giant weeds, next day jumped around a lot with a heavy guitar around my neck.
First thought it was just soft tissue damage. After 3 weeks it seemed more like nerve impingement so I spent an hour with a Chiropractor trying all sorts of adjustments. No magic fabulous adjustment of the T1 transpired. Surrounding vertebrae adjusted; he thought he got T1, I wasn't sure he did. The stretching traction relieved symptoms. Lying face down, any pressure down on the spine aggravated.
Any knowledgeable advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading, Robbie

Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
(female)

jcjwillis HB User
Re: pain, numbness in waves from vertebra to right fingers

Try scrolling down to the spinal problem area and post there. A lot of very knowlegable people and helpful as well.
Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 06:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi robbie,i can soo relate to what you are experiencing.one huge suggestion for you though,do not go back to the chiro til you have had an actual MRI to try and determine just what is actually out of place there in your c spine.alot of people will go in to see a chiro for c spine problems(which yours does appear to be and not actually the T spine)and come out paralyzed due to adjustments that were done pretty much blindly without knowing they had bone spurs or some other problem that actually hit the cord itself and caused severe and permanent damage to the spinal cord.i would never ever go to a chiro for any c soine issues.its just a very highly innervated area and if something goes wrong up that high in your spine,the results could be disasterous.

you obviously do have something that is intermittantly causing you some sort of actual nerve compression that needs to be Dxed.i would see your primary and get a neuro eval and then hopefully he will send you for an MRI.this really IS the safest way to go for c spine problems.i am living with pretty significnt SCI right now but mine was due to a surgery that was done on the inside of my actual cord.trust me,you do not want to risk ending up like i am,or much worse, just from seeing a chiro without the benefit of actually knowing the real cause of your ongoing symptoms.

once you actually know whats up,well then and only then would i decide whether or not it would be safe to actually have adjustments done.i had whats called a cavernoma that was inside of my spinal cord but didn't know it til i had the MRI done to determine which one of my discs was actually herniated(i knew from the symptoms i did have a herniation)well,i didn't expect the news i got that while i DID have the herniated c 6-7,i also had this cavernoma right below it in side my cord.i had thought about possibly going back to a chiro i had seen many years before for some other issue and mentioned this to my neurosurgeon,his response was if i had actually done that,i could have caused a major bleed inside of my cord which would have most likely paralyzed me from the chest down.i had already had at least one smaller bleed before it was even Dxed or found.

all i am trying to say here really is ,no one actually really knows just what in the heck is actually going on inside any body area without actually looking at it.this alone is rather scarey,but in your case,i would most definitely err on the side of caution,espescially since you do have other options.but get that MRI before doing anything,K?good luck,and please keep me posted on what you actually find out.Marcia

Old 04-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
(male)

vibrato HB User

Thank you very much "feelbad" and jcjwillis. Didn't update the conversation because my wife divorced me, which was quite a distraction to say the least. Sorry to appear rude not responding to your posts. Anyway, I did a lot of stretching exercises surrounding the area, daily or a few times daily. There have been no more symptoms in the past 3 months. It took 2+ months to heal.
Thanks, Rob

Closed Thread