It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
(female)

wmjsease HB User
lightheadedness, crawly sensation in head

I have been dealing with lightheadedness, crawly sensation in head, and headaches for a little over six years now. It never goes away, but sometimes it's bearable. However, around the week of my period it is awful. I have to lay around, and rest a lot due to the feeling like I'm going to pass out. Also, my chest hurts a lot. I have went to cardiologists, infectious disease doctor, ents, neurologists, dentist, eye doctor, you name it I've probably went to them. They can't find anything, except my ferratin was a little low, and migraines. I was put on iron pills, and topomax. The iron pills are helping bring my ferratin level up, but the migraine meds aren't helping. This feeling never goes away. I'm also on Synthroid, Prevacid, and Prozac. I do have a thyroid problem that is under control with meds, and all of the doctors said stress, so I started taking Prozac. I have stopped driving all together due to this, and haven't driven in 8 months. I have three kids, and it really gets me down because I can't take them places and do things with them due to the lightheadedness. I'm female, and only 35. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking maybe hormonal or something but all of my doctors say no way since I'm so young. But like I said it really intensifies around the time for my period. Please answer if you have any suggestions on what to do. My kids would appreciate it if someone could help, and so would I and my husband. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
(female)

DX- HB User
Re: lightheadedness, crawly sensation in head

WMJS:

I did a quick search for ferritin and found out it's a test for the level of iron in your blood. Low ferratin = iron deficiency. So I did a search for more information about iron deficiency and found that all the symptoms you describe are symptoms of iron deficiency. That includes the fact that it's more difficult during your periods.

You've listed a lot of pharm drugs, and it almost seems like when they are put together, they might mask the real problems you are having.

I suggest you find a doctor who is willing to start all over again -- maybe get you off all those drugs, test your ferritin levels again, and see if treating simple iron deficiency would help you. Probably just a primary care doctor?

You can learn more about iron deficiencies by checking out some of the beginner links in the sticky note above.

Good luck -- keep us posted :-)

Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
(female)

karsch HB User

It sounds like anxiety to me- I had the same symptoms for years before I finally got a diagnosis and help. Combination therapy and medication did wonders. Also- the hormonal changes each month increase anxiety symptoms.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i would have to agree with DX on this. you said the levels are "coming up' but have they reached a normal level yet? if this is still a problem,perhaps it needs to be upped in dosage so you can GET to normal,ya know? my hubby has had an up and down with his iron too. he usually gives blood every so many days and has for many years. this year,twice,they sent him away without him actually donating just because his iron was too low to give. he actually tried alot of different foods that were higher in iron like beans and raisins? and also eating some dark chocolate too. it was only when he stayed on the rasins that his iron finally is more stable now. very strange. he has not had this problem occur agin now for the last three donations in a row,so something with the raisins actually helped there i think. since you said things got better once you started supplimenting your iron,this could be the actual reason for your symptoms and why this becomes a much bigger issue when you have your peroiod too. makes sense,ya know?

just wondering tho if any of these docs ever actually ordered any type of brain scan just to possibly rule out other reasons for your symptoms? if you do actually keep a stable good iron for a few weeks but all of your symptoms are there or even some of them,that would be what i would ask your doc about having,a simple brain MRI. there could be an actual reason for your ongoing iron deficiency too. "something' may be triggering the low iron,you know what i mean? i hope things get back to normal soon for you. please keep us posted. FB

Closed Thread