It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

troublex2 HB User
a little help,please

hello,
i am on here because i am really concerned about a swollen lymph node i have on the right side of my neck.i dont know how long it has been there.i have noticed in for about the past month and a half /two months.its not noticable to the eye,even if my head is straight i can not feel it,only if i bend my head to the left side i can feel it there.i told my doctor becasue i was concerened,she said it was really small,even though i think it is big,she can even feel it when my heads was straight,where i couldnt,she said if she sent me to a surgeon they would laugh at her because it is so small.she gave me antibiotics,z-pak,and said for me to come back this month on the 25th to see if it got any smaller or went away.it has not went away it has stayed the same.it is a little hard lump in my neck,it hasnt grown any that i know of,it feels the same as it has when i first found it and it is not and never was painful .i am so scared right now,i thought maybe it was due to the neck pains i have in the back of my neck.i've had them for a few years now.but then again maybe not.what could this be?i am so afraid it might be cancer,but if not,then what could it be?please help me,i am going crazy,i feel like ia m losing my mind here.Has anyone had this and it turned out not to be serious????????

Old 09-10-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
(female)

DX- HB User
Re: a little help,please

troublex,

I don't blame you one bit for being concerned, and in my opinion, your doctor is absolutely wrong to minimize what you see and feel -- and especially to minimize your feelings about it.

First, I would make an appointment with another primary physician for a second opinion. Even if your insurance doesn't cover it, it's worth your peace of mind. Don't ask the first physician for a referral -- instead, ask a friend who likes and trusts his or her primary care physician. If you ask your first physician, then she won't refer you to anyone who might disagree with her.

Second, I would start recording exactly when you feel it, if it ever seems to change in size (a time of day? when you're tired?) or even when it gets smaller. You say your neck hurts sometimes -- so record whether they seem to bother you in tandem.

Get your records from your first physician to take to your second one. By law, you have a right to copies of your records.

It could very well be nothing -- your doctor could very well be right. Lumps aren't normal -- but sometimes they aren't problematic either. You won't have peace of mind until you get some confirmation of that, and another doctor might be a bit more aggressive in finding out.

good luck. keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
(female)

madamkitty HB User
Post Re: a little help,please

First off don't panic and start thinking cancer first thing. If it were a type of cancer more than one lymp node would be swollen. Go get your second opinion and then ask for a appointment with an Internist. They deal with the lymphatic system more than regular GP's. But take heart. I had thyroid cancer in 1971, it resulted in a total thyroidectomy. I have had a pea sized lymph node on the right side of my neck ever since, it doesn't get any bigger or smaller. No doctor has ever been able to say why it is swollen in all these years. Sometimes it is just because you may have an underlying infection, like a slight staph infection that will not go away, that is what most doctors have told me. I do keep getting a low grade staph infection that no one can tell me why, antibiotics doesn't make it go away, but I constantly bothered with boils on my body.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
(female)

flylady2 HB User

I am new here I have a swollen lymph node on right side of my neck now for over three months now but also swollen lymph node under the same arm did you have a fever or anything else with it? I would insist they do testing they tested me for tyroid,mono,epsin barr and a few others as I had a slight fever,tired along with swollen lypmh node have you been tested for lyme disease just a few thoughts I did try antibotics did not help me hope you find out what it is and feel better soon.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
(female)

Nopales HB User

Did you have blood tests done? How are your white cell counts?

Old 01-27-2007, 02:41 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

newfie11 HB User

I would suggest a chest x-ray for both of you just to rule out hodgkins.
newfie11

Closed Thread