It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
(male)

greg7770 HB User
post op hemorrhoidectomy

Hi just wanted to ask if any others can tell me how long it takes to not want to scream during a BM. I went in to have a cyst removed it was in perianal region, but my wife wanted me to get a colonosocopy done. Colon cancer killed her dad at 56 so how could I say no. After filling the cyst in office and the finger check he was going to remove 3 hemroids and fix a fisher. Me not knowing about the pain afterwards just is wondering how long? Thanks for any info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: post op hemorrhoidectomy

Greg-
I don't want to scare you, but I can honestly say that post op hemorrhoidectomy is the absolute worse pain I've ever had. Even worse than giving natural birth to my 8lb 10oz daughter.

My doctor was wonderful throughout my entire recovery and made sure to keep me stocked with pain meds and also lidocaine cream, not the lidocaine jelly. The cream works better and stays on longer as well.

Bowel movements are the worst I have to say. For the first two weeks, I cried like a baby every time I had one and even almost passed out on the first two bowel movements in particular. The key thing is to make sure to take the stool softeners because your bowels can sometimes get sluggish after anesthia/surgery, so the stool softeners are KEY in keeping the bowel movements soft. Stay away from any kind of constipating foods such as cheese, soft drinks and bananas. Drink plenty of water, water and more water too. Taking sitz baths helps too, but you may need help getting in and out of the tub. Humiliating, yes, but necessary.

Unfortunately, it's a difficult recovery, but, having hemorrhoids isn't such a good thing either- especially if they bleed. I had several removed at the same time, so my recovery may have been worse than what other people may have.

Good Luck and know that once you get past a certain point, you will feel better and better each day and will be glad you had them removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
(male)

greg7770 HB User
Re: post op hemorrhoidectomy

Thanks, the first couple of BM I to thought I was going to pass out and then afterwards felt like I was kicked between the legs. I did get some gel yesterday that and stool softeners it has helped. It did seem to help.

Closed Thread