It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 01:37 PM   #1

WTSnacks HB User
Please... Help assess risk of nail puncture injury of the hand

My friend was in a field and tripped, and a nail (normal nail) pierced his hand. I don't know much more than this, but what is the chance that a nail through the hand will cause permanent damage to the functions of the hand?
I know that more information would be useful, but I can't get it for a few days. But in general, what's the % chance that long term function would be lost in the hand?

Thank you very muhc for your help

Old 09-17-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Please... Help assess risk of nail injury

that would actually depend on many different factors,mostly the area that was affected and how extensive the actual damage is.his biggest concerns would be for now,getting or making sure that he is up to date on his tetnaus shots,and getting that area thoroughly cleaned out by a medical professional.

with any type of actual puncture type wound,the risk of infection goes way up,just because any germs and bacteria that happened to be on the tip of that nail will get pushed way up into the wound itself,which can be very difficult to fully clean out,thus the infection.and of course the tetnaus risk.if your friend cannot remember when he had his last one,the rule of thumb says he should have another just to be sure he is updated.if it has been at the minimum of seven years since his last booster,he should have one done.he should really see his doc as soon as possible though.

i hope he recovers with no problems.FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread