It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

AnastasiaC HB User
Unhappy Something stuck in my throat.

Hello, My name is Anastasia. I am 22 years old. Until recently i was a smoker. Althought not a heavy smoker. 2 packs per week maybe. I quit. It's been tough. About 2 months ago i notced the feeling of something stuck in my throat. It has NEVER gone away since and is litterally driving me insane!
When i ope my mouth and throat wide enough i can actually see a small knot,if you will, towards the base of the right side of my epiglotis. I can actually stick my finger back there and touch it. It is not painful to the touch. It feels quite soft and almost like a loose hanging mole. I know that's gross but am at a loss for good analogies! Anyways..every now and again..maybe once a day or so it will send a slight ache through to my right tonsil (which is large but not painful) and on to my right ear. I also notice that the sensation of a lump in my throat worsens greatly when in public or especially at work. My job is not high stress, my old job (when i found the problem to be a problem, i was working at an unbearibly stressful place, i was put on xanax for stress related chest pains while working there) When i am home relaxing on weekends it doesn't bother me so much. It's not a PHANTOM lump because it is visible and i have actually touched it with my index finger. It doesn't seem to be getting any better at all. It just feels as if something is stuck in my throat on the right side. It's very annoying and my right side of my nose is really stuffed up. it won't seem to un-stuff! I know i should go to the doctor.
I haven't gone to the doctor because i have no insurance and am just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this at all. Please help me, it is making me crazy! I would appreciate it more than you know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Something stuck in my throat.

You should see a doctor and get it checked. This is not normal.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
(female)

AnastasiaC HB User

I agree..the only thing is..i just got a job with good benefits. HOWEVER i don not get hose benefit for another 60 days. If i go to the doctor now and they find something horrible. God forbid. Then no insurance will take me because of pre existing issues. This is my dilema.
I don't know what to do. Do i have throat cancer? At 22? I guess it's possible. It's just so terrifying.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

If this thing is right above the tonsil it can be normal. I have had this in the past and the doctor said that it was just swollen lymph tissue. He said that lymph tissue swells up for no reason sometimes and that it is always changing.

Mine did not go completely away ( had it for 3 years) but it took about a month to get smaller.

If you are concerned, you need to see a doctor. However, don't get so worried because it may be nothing like mine was.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
(male)

Chains HB User

I have the same thing and I actually took a little piece out and had a jello texture and some blood came out .. and its on my right side too

Old 09-25-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
(female)

AnastasiaC HB User

Thank you for the reply's. Although it is a bit more comforting knowing that i'm not alone and that it could be nothing..you all know that it doesn't ease it totally! It's driving me insane!
There is some swelling right above the right tonsil, yes. But the thing that is concerning me and physically drving me NUTS is the small knot that has grown on my epiglottis ( the flap that covers your wind pipe) It doesn't hurt but i notice it probably because it's not supossed to be there and it feels like there is something stuck in the right side of my throat and i can't swollow it.
There really is no pain. A little that i feel from the right side of my neck every now and again through to my right ear. but not too bad.
I'm affraid to go to the doctor because of insurrance purposes. I have none..still waiting 60 days for it to kick in at my new job!! if i have something..they won't take me. Then i'm really swrewed.
Got myself in a pickle huh!

Old 12-24-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
(female)

kathi1305 HB User

Hi,
I've just joined this site, and am reading through some of the posts to aquaint myself with this forum and just finished reading yours.
Being that 60 days have now passed, and your insurance should have kicked in by now, I'm wondering if you've gone to a doctor about your throat??
It really isn't something that should be postponed too long.
I hope everything is o.k. with you.
Kath

Old 12-25-2006, 02:46 AM   #8
(female)

AmyW HB User

I can understand your reasons for wanting to wait until your insurance kicks in. If it's not causing you a lot of pain and doesn't seem to be getting bigger or obstructing your breathing, you might be able to wait it out. Keep an eye on yourself for fever or for any changes in the lump. I'd study it really well under a bright light and make sure you know exactly what it looks like so you'll know if there are any changes.

Check out ***** dot com! I hope you stay well until your insurance takes effect. Keep us posted!

Old 12-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
(female)

Mariley HB User

About 10 years ago I had a growth on my tonsil. Although the doctor did not think it was cancerous, since I had it for what seemed like enough time for it to go away on its own (I do not remember the exact time) I finally had laser surgery to have it removed. The surgery was very simple. I was awake when they did it. I could see smoke coming out of my throat and wanted to laugh but my mouth was being held open (Thank goodness) but right after it was done I had no pain and was able to go right back to work. I think you should see about having it removed especially if it has been several months!

Closed Thread