It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
(male)

anonjun06 HB User
Cut on leg infected

While playing football on astroturf on Thursday night, I was pushed over and skidded along on my knee, causing a cut/graze just under the knee. It bled a bit at the time, but I carried on and when the match was finished just cleaned the wound with an alcohol wipe and covered it up. Yesterday my fiance noticed that there were still bits of sand in the wound so I cleaned it again and put another plaster on it.

However, 2 days later, its still quite sore, and is yellow puss surrounded by redness. When I took the plaster off about 30 minutes ago that I'd put on this morning, it was soaked with this puss.

Should I see a doctor about this? It doesn't seem to be swollen, but as I say it is very sore.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Cut on leg very *****

Sounds like you have an infection. Are you running a fever? Is the area around the injury hot to touch?

The injury should be cleaned good and an antibiotic applied. If you have fever, you probably need an oral antibiotic.

Misty
Not a medical professional, speaking from experience only.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
(male)

anonjun06 HB User
Re: Cut on leg very *****

Thanks Misty.

I've not got a fever (as far as I know, will find a thermometer in a minute). I've got a very bad ear ache, keep getting sharp stabbing pains, though can't see that being in any way connected.

Its smelling a little funny, which is slightly concerning. How urgently should I see a doctor? Would it be ok to wait until Monday when they open, or should I go to see an out of hours doctor?

Old 09-23-2006, 02:33 PM   #4

Amnia HB User
Exclamation Re: Cut on leg very bad

If the bandage was soaked with pus, I would suggest going to an emergency room. they will clean it with normal saline, possibly under pressure to get rid of the sand (debridement), and put a dressing on it. more than likely, even without a fever, you will get a prescription for an antibiotic. If you are not allergic to penicillin, you will probably get a prescription for either Augmentin (amoxicillin + clavulanic acid) if you have to only pay a co-pay for medications, or cephalexin (Keflex) if you have to pay full price.

They will also suggest that if you have any pain you can take either acetaminophen (tylenol) or ibuprofen (advil, motrin) which you can get over-the-counter (that means without a prescription you can just buy them). then they will tell you to keep the bandage clean and dry, change the bandage once a day or if it gets wet or dirty (you can ask for bandaging supplies and if the nurse likes you she will give you a bunch and tell you to keep quiet), and follow up with your doctor in 3-5 days.

most often these types of infections are a mixture of staph and strep. there is a very small chance the bacteria can enter the bloodstream (called bacteremia), travel to the heart, and seed the heart valves (this is called endocarditis). usually but not always, bacteria in the bloodstream causes a fever, which is why the person who replied above told you to get an antibiotic if you had a fever.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
(male)

anonjun06 HB User
Re: Cut on leg very bad

Thanks Amnia.

I'm actually allergic to most of the things you mentioned above Last time I took Ibruprofen I ended up rushing to hospital thinking I had meningitis (I had the rash, stiff neck, headache etc.). Incidentally they forgot I was there and left me sitting for about an hour before I went back to the reception.

I'm actually in the UK and have phoned NHS Direct who offer advice on this sort of thing, I'm currently waiting for a nurse to phone me back. From experience they'll probably phone back at about 3am.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
(male)

anonjun06 HB User
Re: Cut on leg infected

A nurse has just called me back, and has said that I'll need to get a special dressing on to draw out the puss from the wound, though it can wait until tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #7

Amnia HB User

Well, at least it wasn't 3am when the nurse called you

if they decide to clean it (debridement) it may hurt. i wonder if you will wind up with an antibiotic.

good luck!

Old 09-24-2006, 06:28 AM   #8
(male)

anonjun06 HB User

I've got an appointment this afternoon at 4pm, sounds like I'll probably be given antibiotics.

It actually appears to be getting worse, I'll have to think up some ways to make my mate who ran into the back of me causing me to fall and scrape my knee feel really guilty.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:28 AM   #9
(male)

anonjun06 HB User

I've been to see the nurse, she said that its not actually infected, and that if it was anything she could give me for it would probably do more harm than good due to my allergies.

I feel like an idiot now for going, though she did say I did the right thing.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

You definitely did the right thing. Would have hated for you to let a possible infection go to the point of having to amputate your leg!! Something to think about. An ounce of prevention is worth a lot.

Misty

Closed Thread