It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

ROTY HB User
Head Problems: PLEASE Help

Hi all,
I have been freaking out over this for a while now and I had to get some help somewhere.

Here is a complete run down of what is going on and I would love some help in knowing how worried I should be.
---
I am 21 years old. I have been diagnosed as pre-hypertensive with an anxiety disorder. I weigh 250 pounds and am 6'2" tall (I also have blue eye and brown hair if anyone cares)

The last year I have had on again/off again issues with my head. Primarily I get feelings of light headed variety in my forehead, I feel pressure in my forehead (particularly around the right half), on occassion I will feel a tingling sensation in my scalp on the right side, for a few months late last year I had pressure around my right eye.

Once a day I have what I believe is sinus drainage. I will be congested for one-two hours (sometimes less), I will have clear discharge, and a bit of nausea. I am then fine. This has gone on for roughly a year.

My doctor is convinced that my head issues are from blood pressure, and three different blood tests (from October 2005-April 2006) have found nothing abnormal.

I have noticed recently that when I work a lot or get worked up in some fashion that my head will do the pressure thing in the forehead. This leads me to believe that she might be right about the blood pressure, though I have no way of knowing.

However, today while cleaning on my apartment, I was bent over throughout the day and did indeed experience pressure. However, I also felt a light headed relief style feeling upon standing up and when bent over for a long period of time I also felt a scratchy sensation in my throat as if I was having sinus drainage.

I have ruled out cardiac problems.

This leaves:
1) The high blood pressure

2) Two cavities I need to get filled that have deteriorated greatly in the last year without me realizing it (two, one on each very back, top, molar) These teeth have also been feeling pressure on them when I would bend over or have pressure feelings.

3) A possible sinus injury that occured last April that I completely shrugged off without realizing it. In April of last year, I accidentally held my nose while sneezing. It was a violent sneeze and holding my nose made my head (right front forehead) hurt, as well as sent an awful sensation through my jaw teeth on both sides.

I had a headache the rest of the night and the following day, and then it went away. I have yet to figure out why I didn't put this in with my complaints to the doctor, but I forgot all about it until my mother recalled it over the weekend.
---
If anyone has any help PLEASE let me know what you think. I have an appointment scheduled with the doctor in a month, but I am having severe anxiety about it now.

Thanks in advance,
Will [removed]

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-12-2006 at 10:20 PM. Reason: do not use real name on these boards.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User
Re: Head Problems: PLEASE Help

Hi Will

First thing is relax. I suffer from OCD and anxiety, and I for one know what it is like when we key into something, and the symptoms become more apparent through us worrying and convincing ourselves something is really wrong with us.

When your doctor suggested Blood pressure, that doesn't necessarily mean high blood pressure. I would say from your mentioned symptoms, it is more likely to be low blood pressure! When I stand up quick, or have been bending down or something, when I stand up, I also get dizzy for a few minutes, and a fizzy sensation in my head - that is low blood pressure.

Low blood pressure can flutuate, hence why your doctor doesn't notice anything wrong with your pressure readings when he/she takes it. If for instance you were suffering from high blood pressure, it would be picked up on the readings.

regarding your headaches, I would say that is due to a combination of anxiety and possibly your cavaties in your teeth. Toothache can spread to headache. Best to get them sorted.

Hope I have been able to help a little

Last edited by brook65; 10-04-2006 at 04:50 PM.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Hi Will, That sounds like a sinus problem to me. Especially when you said you were bent over and felt pressure. With sinus problems, your face will hurt too...eyes, cheekbones, teeth, ears. I had a sinus infection so bad once, my whole face was killing me and was swollen. And it sounds like you have post nasal drip too. No sore throat from that? Whatever it is, feel better soon. Linda

Old 10-04-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ROTY HB User

Thanks for the help. I really don't think it is low blood pressure. I took my readings at home before I moved into my own apartment, and they were consistently in the "above normal" range and only wandered into high from time to time. (I know my sister in law, a nurse, has noted that when I get worked up it goes up to the point that she wants me to relax because it worries her.)

You are right though, I have to get my teeth situated. They aren't bothering me (which is why I haven't done anything yet: out of site out of mind and all), but it has made me wonder if that isn't part of it.

I also have to learn to calm down and stop thinking the worst of everything. I do tend to do that like you suggested.

About the sinus stuff. Can sinus issues persist for months on end? I've had sinus infections before (much worse than the stuff I've been dealing with) and they only lasted a few days and I KNEW they were infected.

Could this be something to do with my sinuses without actually being infected? (My doctor did look at my sinuses but she said because they weren't infected that she didn't think that was the case...thus I worried again.)

Thanks for the help again, you two made me feel a good bit better.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ROTY HB User

I need to tack a few new symptoms on to the list. I don't know if they mean anything or not but I forgot them earlier. Late last year I began finding sore spots of sorts on my upper rib cage in the left half of my body. There were also a few sore spots in my left pectoral area. There were accompanied by occasional muscle spasms or twitches in the pectoral muscle and my left arm.

After I began walking to reduce my blood pressure these went away. Two weeks ago I began packing up to move and reduced my walking schedule. The sore spots have returned. The twitches have been few and far between, but tonight my left arm, above the elbow and below the shoulder, in the back of the arm, cramped up. It didn't hurt, it was just discomforting.

I know I wasn't having a heart attack because I felt no pain, it was just uncomfortable as I said.

Does anyone think that could be associated with what I have already brought up, or am I just stressing out over nothing?

Old 10-05-2006, 01:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

Hi again Will

I am glad we managed to make you feel a little better.

You seem a little worried about having/or about to have a heart attack? as I said before I have OCD and I used to worry about that years ago when I was about 19. Every little ache in my arm, every little flutter, I was convinced I was about to have an attack. What I would say say Will, is the mind is good at keying into worrys when we are already an anxious type of person. If we worry enough about some type of pain or ache, eventually it will appear. (doesn't mean there is anything wrong though).

You are very young, it is rare at your age. Are you overweight? have you got it in the family? I am just wondering why you worry about your heart specifically?

The aches and cramps in your arms Will, I would say you are perhaps in an heightened state of anxiety at the moment, and are keying into every twinge that you are feeling. Will it is NORMAL to have some aches and pains, unless something is continuous and gives you greif and pain, I wouldn't worry to much.

The sore spots you mention, are you on any medication? is so, then that may be a side effect.

If your problems are related to your sinuses, then that can be easily resolved. There is actually a sinus board on this very site, that you may find interesting.

I hope I have managed to help a little. If you need any more support, please feel free.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ROTY HB User

Hey,
Thanks for the quick reply. My hypochondria actually began last April when my grandmother died of a sudden heart attack. While she was in her early 90s, she was also in perfect health at that point.

Afterwards I began having an incredibly ammount of hypochondriatic anxiety fits. As far as I know that is the only person to die in my immediate family from a heart attack.

I am not overweight but I could stand to lose a bit of weight. I would be classified more as husky (kinda built like comedian Kevin James), but other than the blood pressure I am in perfect health.

I think I just kind of keyed in on blood pressure and began wondering if that was going to kill me.

I've always been a hypochondriac since I was a child, but it had settled off greatly in high school and college. Then my grandmother passed away and it kicked in to overdrive.

Thanks again for the help and the support Brook. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

Roty

Hypocondriac was something I was thinking, but didn't want to be rude and suggest that.

But like I said anxiety, and stress triggers especially can make us start to obsess unnaturally about our health.

Firstly, I am sorry that you lost your gran, that must of been difficult for you, and the upset of that time has probably fed your already anxious self. But remember, we all die eventually due to our heart stopping, it is natural. Your gran was a good ripe old age, she lived a good life, and had a very good heart to live that long! with saying that, that would imply that heart disease in NOT in your family, and you really have no worrys there.

I would say your only obvious health problems that I can see would be your anxiety problems. I can relate here, I know what it is like, my nephew is 20 and he is also going through lots of anxiety problems.

Try the gym, or running, any form of exercise, is great as a distraction, a distraction away from your thoughts.

Glad to be of help

Old 10-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

ROTY HB User

Question: This was never really addressed that well through any of the previous posts, but I was wondering if blood pressure headaches occured with people who had pre-hypertension?

In everything I've studied, there has been indication that blood pressure headaches come from years of extremely high blood pressure. Yet, as far as I know, I've been in the pre-hypertensive range for only a few years.

(Yes this is a hypochondriatic question, so forgive me.)

Old 11-07-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

ROTY HB User

After moving out of the apartment my headaches went away. So I think they were indeed sinus related. Thanks for helping a hypochondriac.

Closed Thread