It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

khuseti HB User
Alternatives to malaria?

Hi, hope somebody can help!

I'm a 21 year old female, usually healthy, and I came back three weeks ago from Western Kenya after spending three months working for a development charity, and for the last two weeks have felt unwell. For the first week it was a gradual development of mild symptoms (tiredness, dizziness etc), then a week ago I had a day of feeling absolutely awful (chills, shaking, could barely walk without feeling as if I was going to collapse, muscle pains). This week has varied so much; on occasions I feel absolutely fine, most of the time I feel tired, and some days, such as today, I feel almost as bad as last Monday. When the symptoms come on I can barely do anything, and my friends say I look godawful.

Despite not really having a fever, I initially assumed malaria, as I had mistakenly left my Lariam tablets in Kenya and so stopped taking them after I returned, and had been bitten a lot during the final week. I've had a malaria test but the doctor really doesn't seem concerned and there have been repeated delays in getting the blood test back from the hospital (I'm hoping to find out tomorrow). Crappy NHS. I was just wondering, if it turns out it isn't malaria, does anyone have any other suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks

Old 10-10-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Alternatives to malaria?

Hi khuseti. I am sorry you are feeling so bad. How many days would you have taken the Larium that you couldn't?

There is a malaria-type infection called Babesiosis which is transmitted by a tick bite. You may or may not have a fever with this infection. If you think this is a possibility, you also need to be tested for the other tick-borne infections: Lyme disease, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. The tests are not reliable, so it is important to be tested by a Lyme lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

Many doctors do not understand these diseases. It is important to see one who is knowledgeable. If you would like a recommendation, post where you are located and I will give you the name of the closest knoweldgeable doctor I know of.

I hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread