It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 04:16 AM   #1
(female)

debzkitkat HB User
memory loss

My 14 yr old daughter somtimes has memory loss. For instance, she was kept behind at school for being rude to a teacher and later could not remember why she was kept behind. She suffers mood swings but ten minutes later it is as if it never happened and then lashes out at me for "having a go" at her. She swears and curses and is sometimes violent towards people and shows no remorse as she does not remember wht its all about. I am worried that she may have some brain disorder as i have never heard of kids her age suffering with these symptoms. She is such a good girl most of the time and she is doing well with her studies at school and i hate to see this sudden change in her behaviour intefering with her life. I would be grateful for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: memory loss

My initial thought is Tourette Syndrome (lots of sites about this), but it could be other things, too. What does her physician think about it?

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2006, 06:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: memory loss

unfortunetly,just the age that she is at is always kind of a rough period when there are alot of different types of changes and other things going on.ahh teens.

the thing i am worried about with her symptoms is it really does sound like one of a few possibilities,please don't be offended about what i am about to ask here,but is there ANY possibility that she could be using some type of drugs?just a simple question.if you really do feel that this would be likely(although even tho you may think you know what your daughter may or may not do,trust me,when it comes to kids and drugs,you would be amazed at 'who' is actually doing them and no one would have ever thought that it was even possible with "this" child.even kids in the honor society can do drugs.there are no actual barriers here)there is always the possibility of some sort of a mood disorder or even a medical type of problem stemming from some oddity inside the brain.

the thing is,with the symptoms you have described here so far,this really does sound more like a possible mood disorder,such as a bi polar or some other type.there are many many possible mood disorders that just about anyone can have,age is not always an issue when it comes to some mental health issues.

she most definitely needs to be seen by her primary for an evaluation of her symptoms.make sure to write down every symptom you are seeing and if possible,a type of timeline as to when they started appearing.believe me,it will be much easier to think of things when you are observing them or not "on the spot' in the docs office.then give this to her doc to read thru.then you can discuss the symptoms as he is going thru them or elaborate on them a bit more.this really does help alot.my son has a bi polar disorder and i have to actually do this just to remeber things.then based on what her doc feels,if this may be a mood disorder or even the possble brain issue.he may even order an MRI just to try and rule out somethiong stemming from the brain as the culprit.but this does need to be evaluated before her behavior becomes even more out of control.it sounds like she is acting on impulse alot of the time and thats just not a good thing.just have her seen as soon as possible.hopefully they will be able to pinpoint a bit more clearly as to the source of her behavior issues.good luck and please let me know how things go,K? FB

Closed Thread