It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2006, 01:57 AM   #1
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User
Inhaler difficulties

I'm an acute asthmatic. I use, for my rescue inhaler, a 17G Albuterol inhaler. Pretty standard stuff.

I got my inhaler refilled about a week ago. Before this, I had been having only medial asthma difficulties (the usual). Nothing out of the ordinary, at all.

Now, when I ordered my inhaler (Wal-Mart pharmacy) they did two things which I didn't like. First, they changed me twice as much (30$, instead of 15$) and gave me a different brand of inhaler, saying my previous one had been discontinued to make way for environmentally friendly inhalers.

Since getting this new inhaler, I've had nothing but trouble. I wake up four or five times every night wheezing heavily, which has never happened before. Often, five or six puffs are needed to stop any attack, as opposed to the two it took before. It's just generally becoming useless and a pain in the butt.

I asked them, at the time, if they could give me the standard prescription and they told me that they could not. However, the price and the inhaler themselves are ridiculous. Solutions would be helpful. Calling the pharmacy was not, and I don't have money to throw around.

Old 10-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Inhaler difficulties

You need to contact your doctor and find out what you can use if the inhaler you have been using has really been discontinued. Obviously the new one is not working for you.

I have some meds that are no longer available and I had to find a substitute.

You do have to watch, they will try to push off generic drugs since their profit margin is greater than on the name brand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
(female)

michmob HB User

They changed mine as well. I was using Bricanyl and now Im on the same Bricanyl but its a spin haler not an arosol and it doesnt work the same. They told me the spinhaler wes stronger than the arosol

Old 10-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, they have changed the propellant in inhalers. The old ones are no longer available. Same reason Rhinocort is only available in a spray now.
At any rate, you may need to up your dosage on your preventive inhaler....
Flovent,Advair,whatever for a while. Check with your doctor. Also, the new ones are not made to used with a spacer. If you are using your preventive inhaler (new type) with a spacer, you may not be getting enough of themed.
Once again, check with your doctor. I did.

Closed Thread