It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
(female)

LilAngel41211 HB User
Alcohol and weard black and blue marks

I am wondering if I have a problem with Alcohol.
I dated a man for about a year and a half who was a very heavy drinker. When I was with him we always drank, and I drank a lot of rum and coke.

One day I was in the mall in a dressing room when I noticed my legs had turned blue. I went to the emergency room but they could not find anything wrong, especially because by the time they saw me the blueness was gone.

After this, I began to get weard black and blue spots on my legs when I would drink or smoke, often in the same place so I knew it was not from bumping myself. I also began to get broken blood vessels appearing more on my legs and even on my upper arms and upper body. My toes would go numb and sometimes even my hands would feel a bit numb or part of my leg. I quit drinking for a time and the symptoms went away.

I broke up with this man and went back to drinking just socially (in other words, not all the time like I was with him.) Last week I had about 4 glasses of wine one evening and the next day I had this gigantic spider vein looking thing on my leg, which has faded away over the last week, and other weard red spots that I never had before which looked like broken vessels, which also have faded away.

I noticed these things only happen when I drink or smoke. I quit smoking about 6 months ago, and now I have decided to stop drinking entirely. Does anyone know if this is something to worry about or if my body just reacts badly to alcohol?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2006, 05:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Alcohol and weard black and blue marks

that sounds a bit freaky to say the least.there may or may not be a connection,it would really be hard to say just from what you have mentioned here.the really best thing to do at this point would be to make an appt with your primary dc for a FULL physical which includes bloodwork to check your liver functions and the kidneys.this would check all the basics and see if there is anything that is out of the normal range and then you just kind of go from there.i too get the same types of markings on my legs but i have vasomotor malfunction due to spinal cord injury.your vessels tho DO appear to be rather fragile and that could be from many different types of conditions.i have naturally weaker blood vessels due to a kidney disease called polycystic kidney disease.

your problem could be stemming from so may different things it really would take some testing and an in depth chat with your doc to really narrow down all of the possible causes.but you really DO need to get this evaluated.espescially the liver.with all that alcohol you have consumed over time,there 'could' be some sort of issue with your liver and its ability to create normal ranges of clotting factors.just one of many possible causes.but this does need to be identified at the very least to see if there is indeed some sort of damage to some body system or organ or if there is some other cause like a condition/disease type of thing.you just need to know for sure.

I hope its from just some simple lack of something that can be correted with some kind of supplimentation,who really knows ya know?just make that appt and explain to your doc why you feeel this is all needed and he/she can take it from there with the approprite types of testing.please let me know how things are going,K? FB

Old 10-22-2006, 08:57 AM   #3
(male)

kmacdona HB User

I would say that since it comes and goes with your drinking it's alcohol related.
It sounds like spider angiomata. (spider veins) which happen in people with liver problems. Like the poster above said, it's best to go see a doctor and have them run tests.

Best of luck,

Old 10-22-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
(male)

ultranet HB User

Please visit a good doctor, till then drink lots of water and do some jogging in the morning.

Good luck

Closed Thread