It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
(female)

Brittlstar HB User
2 different diagnosis from same medical office

Hi, I'm new, this is my first post. About a year ago I started picking at the base of my hair line. I thought it felt like a spider bite. It got worse, never infected though. Went to my regular doctor and he didn't have a clue. About 4 months ago I went to a dermatologist and she assured me it was Seborrheic dermatitis. The shampoo and Clobetasol helped a little but not much. I have OCD in the area of skin picking. So, it kept spreading because I wouldn't/couldn't control my picking. Two weeks ago I saw another doctor in the same office and he said it wasn't Seborrheic dermatitis, it was neurodermatitis........he acted like so, what do you want me to do for it? The other stuff didn't work, all that is left is to give you shots of cortisone in your scalp and see if it works. From everything I've read on these two disorders or diseases whatever you want to call them, cause extreme itching! Well, mine doesn't itch! No, not ever. I just can't stand something on my body that doesn't belong there so, I keep trying to scratch it off. Thank God, it's in my scalp where people can't see it. It's stupid, it idiotic, but, I'm telling you like it is. If any of you were me, and you were diagnosed with two different things that were supposed to itch like the dickens, what would you think? Has anyone experienced this? I have my hopes that someone has had a scalp problem that doesn't itch and can give me some direction. I don't believe in doctors much any more.
Thank you

Brittlstar

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
(female)

DX- HB User
Re: 2 different diagnosis from same medical office

Brittlstar,

I don't blame you for wanting to avoid the dermatologists. It doesn't seem like they've been very helpful so far.

A couple of thoughts for you. First - are you being treated for the OCD? It seems like if you could stop doing the picking, then the skin problems might not be so problematic.

Also, I would look online for skin conditions that mimic the two you've been diagnosed with to see if there is something similar that doesn't itch. One website that helps with that is **************.com -- it might be able to help you.

Once you find some information that sounds similar, take it back to the dermatologist you have more confidence in -- or -- find even a third opinion doctor. Make sure you take copies of all the records from the first two with you so you won't have to go through any tests yet a third time.

Good luck.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
(female)

crowgirl HB User
Re: 2 different diagnosis from same medical office

Brittlstar,

the fact that your skin doesn't itch doesn't necessarily preclude a diagnosis of seborrheic dermatitis. I was diagnosed with this condition earlier this year, and the eczema on my face hardly ever itched. Now, I had eczema only on my face, not on my scalp, but the doctor who diagnosed me said that it can occur in either place.

HTH!

Closed Thread