It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
(female)

choccyfrog HB User
Adult With Knock Knees? (genu valgum)

This is going to sound a little strange but Since I was about 12 I've been aware that my knees were close together (knocked kneed you could say) this has meant that I've never been able to comfortably cross one leg on top of the other, nor can my feet touch while i am standing up. However I'm a little overweight so I don't think anybody else has really ever noticed (if they have they've been to polite to say anything). Of course growing up I constantly compared my legs to others and although I was sure there was a difference I gradually reassured myself that I was just being silly and that i was probably overexaggerating it in my mind.

However I've recently been experiencing leg pain on the outer sides of my knees, it's a constant dull ache that comes on after walking fair distances, I've also noticed that my shoes wear out on the inner edges faster that what they do on the outer edges, so there really is a problem.

After talking to my family about this they said my legs had always been like it and they presumed that I would eventually grow out of it! This is made especially poinent by the fact that I am by far the shortest member of the family.

This of course has upset me a great deal as I am sure the problem has become far more prominant over the past few years.

I have tried to research the condition and options for me to no avail so please if anybody has any info whatsoever I would love to hear it/read it. I have so many questions, is it possible to cure this condition at my age? what would the treatment be? am i going to end up with crutches/wheelchair? (to be honest either is preferable to not being able to get around). If it wasnt for this problem would I be taller, more able to exercise,healthier? I'm so sorry there is just so much I would like to know, and so little info availiable.

As I said I am a little over weight (something I am working on changing-although finding it hard to exercise due to pain) so I expect that has contributed but I don't know as it stands I can only see things getting worse as I age.

Do you think I should make an appointment with my GP?

Many thanks, from a very confused and worried 21 year old

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
Re: Adult With Knock Knees? (genu valgum)

Most likely you have had "flat feet" all these years. Our 14 year old son had problems with his knees hurting, after x-rays it was determined he was flat footed and needed to wear shoes with a sturdy built up arch for support. Also was told to choose a career that did not require standing on his feet. Feet rolling inward is a sign of this. Try stepping onto a paper towel with wet feet and see the print. See if there is dry space under your arch, and how much, if any. Flat feet will leave the paper towel wet in most areas.

Perhaps if you wore shoes with a good strong arch support it would help. Our son wore sport shoes with an inserted rigid arch support added between the lining and outer part. You know kids, they did not want to look different from other kids and he would have no part of corrective shoes at that age. Now days they do make sport shoes with excellent arch supports. Read recently there are sport shoes made especially for fallen arches.

There is no question that extra weight will aggravate the problem. Lose weight and see if that helps.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
(female)

choccyfrog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800
Most likely you have had "flat feet" all these years. Our 14 year old son had problems with his knees hurting, after x-rays it was determined he was flat footed and needed to wear shoes with a sturdy built up arch for support. Also was told to choose a career that did not require standing on his feet. Feet rolling inward is a sign of this. Try stepping onto a paper towel with wet feet and see the print. See if there is dry space under your arch, and how much, if any. Flat feet will leave the paper towel wet in most areas.

Perhaps if you wore shoes with a good strong arch support it would help. Our son wore sport shoes with an inserted rigid arch support added between the lining and outer part. You know kids, they did not want to look different from other kids and he would have no part of corrective shoes at that age. Now days they do make sport shoes with excellent arch supports. Read recently there are sport shoes made especially for fallen arches.

There is no question that extra weight will aggravate the problem. Lose weight and see if that helps.

Thanks so much for the response, it's something I shall look into although I always thought I did have a well defined arch to my foot, I may however try the paper towel thing.
I hope your son is coping well with everything, thanks again for the reply.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

choccyfrog:
Thanks, my son is now 39 years old and I do not hear him complain about his feet or knees anymore, however, I only see him off and on, has his own family. He chose engineering for a profession.

Last edited by Misty800; 11-18-2006 at 05:37 PM.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:26 AM   #5
(female)

choccyfrog HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty800
choccyfrog:
Thanks, my son is now 39 years old and I do not hear him complain about his feet or knees anymore, however, I only see him off and on, has his own family. He chose engineering for a profession.
I'm glad to hear that.
As a side note I tried the paper towel thing last night and I really don't my feet are my problem sadly. I also researched a little of the condition and my arches are definately far too well defined for it to be an option.

However while in this curious mood I decided to measure the distance between both my feet when my knees are together and was shocked to find I could fit an entire 30cm ruler between them, this obviously proves that there is a problem, I will of course try to make an appointment this week.

I would however really welcome any info on knock knees (genus valgus). Does anybody else have the condition out there as an adult? even a child with the condition. I would especially like to hear from someone who has had their knees operated on.

Thanks again
x

Closed Thread