It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

Melissa765 HB User
Question Tetanus shot necessary?

I was opening a can of pumpkin pie mix, and I sliced my finger on the sharp ridge where the can opened. It wasn't rusty or anything, but it's been bleeding for a while. Thanks a bunch!

Old 11-24-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Tetanus shot necessary?

Kind of the rule of thumb regarding tetnaus shots is if you cannot remember when you had the last one,you probably need to have one done.but in your particualr case,i don't think you have too much to really worry about since the cans are sterilized before the contents are placed in it and it was not a rusty metal type of cut.and the fact that it did bleed alot is really good since that tends to actually clear things from the inside out.in that instance,the more it bleeds the better type thing?but depending on just how deep it is or jagged will dictate whether or not it would heal properly.i think you have already passed that window of opportuity for any actual sutures to be placed.this needs to be done as soon as possible from when the actual cut takes place since the longer you wait the more opportunity there is for bacteria to breed and also,the cut ends tend to start to dry out and wont re attach to themselves again real well after that.

i think just keeping it clean and covered will do the trick til you can start to see some healing take place.since i cannot actually see the cut itself,it would be really hard to say just how long that will take.it all depends on a few different factors.one really great product that works really well on open type of cuts once they have stopped bleeding completely is that 'new skin" or "liquid bandage" type of stuff?you just place this over the cut area and it acts like a bandage,sort of.it kind of 'seals' the cut itself,but still allows the air to penetrate for healing.really cool stuff.i have used it alot on me and my kids.

hopefully this will heal soon for you.i really do doubt in your particular case that any tetnaus would be needed.i have noticed however that my docs office tends to actually kind of keep an eye on peoples last tetnaus,just like anyother booster type shot,and when its around the time for a new one,they just go ahaead an do it so you are always kind of covered there should something happen.it doesn't hurt to just keep these updated for your own protection ya know?hope you were able to still have a good T day despite the trauma.FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

curiousforever HB User

feelbad gave you some really good advice.

I'd be worried only if there was rust...

Old 11-24-2006, 06:27 PM   #4
(female)

Melissa765 HB User

Thanks for that detailed response! I guess I'm going to hold off on going to the dr... the only thing I'm worried about is the fact that every time I move my thumb, it reopens and starts bleeding again. But I know that that's not a sign of any infection or anything... just that I got it in a really crappy place. lol I kept a bandaid on it and wrapped one around the knuckle too, just so I remember not to bend it. Yuck! I will NOT be opening any cans any time soon. thanks again!

Old 11-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

aussie_jono HB User

The NHMRC has amended its recommendation dealing with the maintenance of tetanus immunity.Tetanus immunity following a properly completed vaccination schedule is long lasting.

The new recommendation now is:

Routine tetanus vaccinations in infancy and childhood as per the schedule (total of 5 doses in the first 5 years of life);
A booster at age 15 - 19 years; and
A booster at the age of 50, unless a booster has been received within the last ten years.
Older adults who have not had a booster at 50 should receive a booster if more than 10 years has elapsed since their last tetanus vaccination.

In the event of a tetanus prone injury, a booster vaccination may be required if the last tetanus vaccination was more than 5 years ago.

A cut from a clean can isnt considered a tetnus prone injury - puncture wounds and those contaminated with soil are.

Wash the wound with soapy water, apply povidone-iodine solution 10% (Betadine) and cover with a sterile dressing/bandaid.

Last edited by aussie_jono; 11-24-2006 at 07:15 PM.

Closed Thread