It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
(female)

Jen32 HB User
Swollen lymph nodes in jaw/neck area...

Is this something to be concerned about? I've had a swollen lymph node under my right jaw for several weeks. I've had my doc feel it a couple of times, and when she noticed it getting bigger, she put me on a round of antibiotics (Keflex) which she said should clear it up.

I'm only about 1/2 way through the antibiotics... but it's not getting any better. I have no symptoms of anything. No fever, pain, etc. Just worried about this swollen lymph node. Should I be worried?

The doc told me should would probably send me to an ENT after the antibiotics, if they don't work.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
(female)

KAnders HB User
Re: Swollen lymph nodes in jaw/neck area...

I would be concerned and have this further checked out if the node does not go down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Swollen lymph nodes in jaw/neck area...

Jen,
I know it's hard not to be worried and I'm not going to even say that to you.
once a lump is found, they have to go thru steps to find out what it is.

they always treat with antibiotic first.
then if it doesn't go away, the dr THEN refers patient to an ent dr.

they will look down into your throat by numbing your nostrils and going in with a tiny scope to see if there's anything they can see.
it doesn't hurt. just remember to relax and not tighten up.

then the ent should order an MRI or a Cat scan with and without contrast dye.
then you have to wait to get the results of that test.

then the radiologist has to read the report and then give results to the Dr.
this all takes time,.

if they deem it necessary to find out what it is, they will then do minor surgery to remove the lump and have it tested by a pathologist.
always get it checked by twice. by two independent labs.
the first lab can read it wrong sometimes. that's why it's best to send it to another lab after the first one.

also they recommend not to do a fine needle aspiration or a fine needle biospy becasue the needle doesnt' get all the cells . only where the needle happens to go into, so if there are a few bad cells in the lump, it could possibly miss it.
experts recommend a total removal of the lymph node. an excisional is what they call it I think.

there are over 30 different subtypes of lymphomas. there are curable and some are fast growing while others can be what they call "watch and wait".

it does NOT mean a death sentence anymore if one should get a lymphoma.

blood tests are not a good way to determine if one has it.

there are A sytoms and B symtoms, so not all pateints with lymphoma have any symtoms what so ever other than just a swollen lymph node.

how are you teeth and gums? have you had any infection going on in your mouth or teeeth? somes the lymphnodes enlarge due to them straining out impurities in your system due to infection.

or sometimes it's just a hyperplastic node which is a benign disorder caused by allergic reactions to the enviroment or molds, spores, etc.

not all enlarged lymph nodes mean they are cancerous. the chance that it would be malignant is a very small perctentage if this should make you feel any better.

some symtoms of disease could be when a person who drinks an alcoholic beverage complain that the gland hurts. or some suffer with intense itching all over their body. a deep deep itchihg sensation.
plus some get intense night sweats or weight loss, etc.

enlarged nodes can be caused by a few diseases such as cat scratch fever, and toxoplasmosis. there are many many things that only a true biopsy can only determine.
some drs can tell by feeling the node too and some are alerted by sizes. I think anything over 2 cm warrants a biopsy.

if it were me, I'd get a biopsy if it doesn't go away. even if the dr feels it's not necessary, you can always go to another dr who will perform the biopsy, otherwise you may never stop worrrying.

it doesnt' hurt to get the biopsy. it depends if it's laying near the carotid artery too, so you want to make sure you have a ent do the surgery. that's their specialty.

I wish you the best outcome of this and I know where you're standing because I've been thru it myself.

the biopsy report takes a while too to come back from the labs.
there are certain stains and test that have to be done by the pathologists.

it's really in the pathologists hands you know. they are the experts on determining if there are bad cells in the biopsy and I think pathologists should be commended for their superb research and fine work that is needed for them to do. it's not an easy job at all.

good luck,

Linda

Closed Thread