It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #1
(female)

Storm Moon HB User
allergic reaction to prednisone?

Hi everyone. I recently was prescribed prednisone for arthritis in my toe joint/moderate bunion, and had only taken it for one day when I started noticing my lips swelling up and itching in various parts of my body. I also had pretty moderate burning and itching in my eyes. So I contacted my dr (podiatrist) and he said to stop taking it and take Benadryl until I felt better. If I had kept taking this, could the allergic reaction have gotten more serious? I've never been allergic to any medicines in my life, well until now anyway lol.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: allergic reaction to prednisone?

Yes, it could have, and you were smart to call the doctor. Now you know what to avoid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2006, 05:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i think if you had let this continue you would have ended up in whats called anaphylactic shock.this is what a person has when they are allergic to any given med.its the bodys response to it and it can lead to death if intervention is not made.you did that by contacting your doc.the benedryl is an antihistimine,and kind of counteracts the effects as long as they are not too severe yet,once they reach beyond a certain point to where your breathing is affected and your tongue begins to swell and your throat tightens,then you need much much stronger meds like epinephrine/adreniline.

you definitely did the right thing for yourself.in the future,this should always be listed as a med that you have an allergy to.you should also make sure all of your family is aware and also purchse a medic alert bracelet or necklace and have the allergy engraved on the back.since steriods can be given in some rather emergent situations,any medical personel would definitely need to know about your allergy before they make any med decisions.the thing about allergic reactions to most meds is that every exposure,in most cases,will become more severe with each exposure.you had a fairly minor one considering what a full blown reaction would consist of so you really DO need to be careful about any sort of steriod any doc wants to Rx for you.it just really needs to be thoroughly discussed.some have a different type of make up than pred but there are many that would be considered in that same "group".just be careful and make sure all medical personal are fully aware of your reaction.and get that medic alert ID.FB

Old 12-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
(female)

Storm Moon HB User

Wow thanks for the replies. That is very scary so I'll be sure to do that. Thanks a bunch

Old 12-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Frankly, I'd see an immunologist if I were you. I'm not certain it was the prednisone. It shuts down your immune system. There might be another cause and it's better to have it checked out rather than assume it's this.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
(female)

Storm Moon HB User

I thought about it and I might do that. I am feeling better though since I stopped taking it. It is kind of strange though. May just be one of those flukes.

Closed Thread