It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

Kuryna HB User
Continuous menstration for 3 months and a fear of doctors visits.

I have a friend who is two years older than me (19), but still has trouble taking care of herself when it comes to her physical health. A few months ago she was complaining to me about how her period did not end after 3 weeks. A couple weeks after, she was still complaining. When I suggested visiting a doctor, she said she would try that and then did not bring up the subject again.

I don't believe she has visited the doctor, because even after three months, her problem still persists. She has both acid reflux and an unusually large heart murmur. She's told me about her family having issues with ovarian cancer and high blood pressure, as well as heart attacks. Because I am not a doctor and have never experienced such a long "mentstration," I do not know what to do for her other than tell her to visit a doctor.

She is really worrying me, because she's terrified of doctors and keeps saying to me, "I'll just wait it out. If it doesn't get any better, I'll go to a doctor." and never going. Some specifics she has told me about her over-menstration is that she feels as if she is leaking a teaspoon of blood out every 3 - 5 minutes, irregular hours throughout the day.

I just joined a few minutes ago out of worry for her well-being, but these boards seem like they'd even be helpful to me. Please, if anyone has any information regarding this, please please reply. I'm so scared of losing my friend!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: Continuous menstration for 3 months and a fear of doctors visits.

Well, she definately needs to see a doctor. Perhaps you could offer to make the appointment for her and go with her? Do you have a gynocologist that you could recommend to her? While I understand that she doesn't like doctors, she needs to realize that she's being foolish; is possibly risking her life worth not having to go through a relatively short physical exam?

Tell her what all could be the problem; hopefully, this would scare her enough to see a physician. She could have fibroids, polyps, hyperplasia, or even cancer.

You're being a good friend; just keep on her about it. Tell her that you don't want to see her suffer.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

She definitely needs to see a Doctor hun. Or better yet, take her down the ER because she's been bleeding for so long and they will perform some blood tests and a abdominal scan to rule out anything going on in that area.

At your friends age its very unlikely its cancer related hun but it could by a polyp which is a growth (tissue growth) that requires surgery to remove it.

Bleeding for 3 months straight is shocking. I'm very suprised she hasn't lost consciousness yet as bleeding for this amount of time, usually results in Anemia due to blood loss. Definitely take her to hospital and all the best. X

Old 12-23-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
(female)

shaunsgrl HB User

She may be anemic. My sister almost died that way when she was 16. She had her period for 14 days when she started passing out. She ended up getting 4 pints of blood. She was really close to going into cardiac arrest. Believe me, it's scary. The main thing the doctor will do for your friend is put her on iron pills and maybe some birth control if she isn't already on it. PLEASE as a friend, make her go to the doctor.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
(female)

Mariley HB User

I had similar problems when I was in my teens. The doctor thought that I was having a miscarriage (but it was impossible for me at that time!) Anyway, she should be taking 3 multivitamins and 2 vitamin C a day. There is liquid iron, which seems to be more effective because it goes right into the blood. Vitamin K is also very important because it helps slow down bleeding. She should be lying in bed with her feet up. She needs to put ice on her stomach. This will cause bad cramps but it will help to slow the bleeding down. She should not be taking any hot baths and should NOT take any aspirin or motrin!!!! The doctor can prescribe birth control to help control the bleeding. (It also depends on what the doctor finds). She should also be eating meals with a lot of iron in them including spinich, liver and other organ meats. If she will not eat these she should be eating steak. (medium rare)
One of the times that I went to the doctor, the doctor went pale when she saw my (low) blood pressure. I had passed out a few times in school. Amazingly enough I did not require any blood transfusions!! (I was terrified of getting blood transfusions but not specifically needles). I also got vitamin B12 shots from the doctor for about 12 weeks in a row.

Closed Thread