It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
(female)

ibti007 HB User
low iron, bruices, cysts, heavy periods, anemia?? what's wrong?

I'm only 17 and I have so many questions that no one can answer or no one wants to answer! please give me any type of suggestions!

About a year ago I have been getting big bruices all over my body! nobody could touch me cause I would get a big bruise, I myself could not touch my skin! I went to the doctor to see what was wrong with me and after lots of blood tests they still did not know why but found that I had iron defficiency and was becoming aneamic which explained why I was all the time tired and wanting to sleep. Although I still, till now, never found out the reason for my bruises the bruising got much less!

However, for my iron defficiency I started taking iron pills. I do get very heavy and painful periods so the iron deficiency could be from that. The thing is that when I went to the apointment after about 6 months taking the pills instead of more iron my iron level was lower than before. but by the time I felt completly healthy. I am very athletic and I'm not aneamic anymore although my iron deficiency worries me. The doctor was surpsrised to find my iron level had gotten lower and so he made a few more tests. I eat a lot of meat so I don't understand why I have lack of iron. The doctor changed my pills into different iron pills cause he said it might be that my body does not absorb iron and he sent me to check for thaleseamia ( I don't know if I spelled it completly correct).

I went also to the gynae cause I started having very painful periods which I had not before. I was sent for an ultrasound and they found a cyst. The doctor said since I am seventeen I am still young so it's normal and should go away. But, it's been a long time and my periods really are a misery to me. It's also important to know that at the gynea I was put on the pregnancy pill to bleed less during my period. This is only one month ago. but till now it doesn't seem to be any change and the cyst seems to be still there and my iron level is getting lower! what am I to do? What can happen to me if my iron goes too low?? please give me some suggestions. One more thing...why did I get so much bruices?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Re: low iron, bruices, cysts, heavy periods, anemia?? what's wrong?

You are NOT perfectly healthy, and you are STILL anemic (that's what low iron is called". You need to find the reason for this and get it treated. If the GYN put you on birth control pills, talk to them about taking them continuously to skip your periods. This is perfectly safe to do, and you could avoid the bleeding AND the pain altogether! The PILL also helps prevent the formation of cysts.

Not all doctors are good at what they do. If you are not getting the help and answers you need, find a new doctor. Your painful periods sound alot like mine, but I have been diagnosed with endometriosis. Look this up, and see if your symptoms fit. It is one of the main causes of pelvic pain and heavy bleeding, as well as causing cysts. Please let me know what you find out! If endometriosis fits, talk to your GYN about having a laparoscopy for dianosis and treatment!

Take Care!

Amanda

Old 12-23-2006, 01:59 AM   #3
(female)

ibti007 HB User

hey! thanks so much you were very helpful! I will ask my gyn about it cause I looked endometriosis up and found that the symptoms are like mine. MY lower back does hurt alot especially when I am about to sit down or about to stand back! thanks and I will let you know what happens!

Old 12-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

ibtioo7....i agree with the above poster with endometiosis and would discuss that with your DR. Another disease to look into if not endometriosis is Aplastic Anemia which is where the bone marrow stops producing red blood cells and a tale tale sign is easy body bruising but it is a rare disease. Lastly take high doses of vitamin-C with Bioflavanoids (2000 to 3000 mg daily )as this assists in Iron being absorbed easier in the body....

Good Luck !!.......

Old 12-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

Mariley HB User

I've had bad anemia (due to bleeding at that time of the month) when I was younger. Yes, you do need vitamin C!!!!! After a period of time taking high doses will both stop the bruises and help to slow the bleeding down!! Start taking (high dose) vitamins right away!! Also the liquid iron is much better than the pills because it is easier for the body to absorb. Go to a health food store and have them assist you! (today!!!)

Closed Thread