It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Very bad sore throat.....cant talk.

Hey,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've had a pretty bad sore throat since christmas day and I saw my GP on 27th who told me I have a throat infection and prescribed me some Antibiotics 500mg 3 times a day. I've nearly completed the course now and only have 1 day left of pills.

However, I've not come down with a bad gagging cough that hurts my chest and kneck area. I can barely talk. I've been taking my antibiotics, painkillers and throat pastels along with gargling salt water. Nothing is working. My voice is painful and very hoarse and grating. Its difficult to speak.

My mum took me to walk in centre last night and it was a waste of time. Dr looked at my throat for about 2 seconds, told me to do what I'm already doing now and that it will take 2-3 weeks before I can talk properly again. That's basically it. He was useless and had a attitude problem.

I'm even taking chesty cough medicine now but its not working. Coughing my guts up every few minutes but the weird thing is my throat doesn't hurt unless I talk. I can hear a lot of mucus at the back of my throat too.

Any idea on what this is? I've never had a throat like this before and have a high pain threshold. But this is plain annoying now and no home treatment is working or the antibiotics.

Thank you.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
(female)

jcjwillis HB User
Re: Very bad sore throat.....cant talk.

It sounds like you might need a different or stronger antibiodic for a longer period of time. My daughter gets these sore throats and has to catch it right away or it becomes harder to treat.
I think that the congestion and coughing sounds like infection hads traveled into your chest.
I would at very least call the prescribing doctor who gave you the antibiodics and tell him that you have not improved and even worsened. He maybe able to call you in a new prescription to your pharmacy without having to see him again.
Hope you are soon feeling better and that this helps you some!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: Very bad sore throat.....cant talk.

Hiya jc. Thanks for your reply hun. I've got my voice back now and found out it was laryngitis that I had (imflammation of voice box). I've just got to get rid of this cough now, lol. Thank you again.

Closed Thread