It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Question on radiation from CT scans, mamograms etc...

I hope someone will have an idea on this question. Okay, I know that when you get chest x-ray, mamograms, CT scans, etc...you are exposed to a certain amount of radiation. So, what exactly does radiation do? Does it destroy or damage cells in the body? If so, can do those cells heal or replenish themselves? How much cell damage causes major health problems such as cancers, tumors, etc..? I know this is a pretty deep question, but I'm hoping someone has some insight on this. I am wondering because there are people that have to get x-rays all the time weather it's for sports (broken bones), flu symptoms, teeth, ladies have to get mamograms done every year or more, and it just seems like anytime you go into a doctors office, they do an x-ray for something and yet, they never ask you if you've been exposed to much radiation or if you have had numerous x-rays done in the past etc... Am I just making a big deal of this or is it something to be really concerned with?

Old 01-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
(female)

peace1910 HB User
Re: Question on radiation from CT scans, mamograms etc...

when x-rays are ordered benefits are always weighed against the risks. our bodies are exposed to background radiation everyday and have adapted over time to small amounts of it. you actually get more radiation on an average airplane ride than you do from a chest x-ray and think of pilots and stewardesses...we don't see them dropping like flies. also radiation workers who are exposed to occupational doses show only very very minimal increase in radiation induced health problems. so i don't worry much,,, when i NEED an x-ray, i get it done as my health down the road may be compromised more by not having an accurate diagnosis than by avoiding radiation exposure

peace................. hope this helps a little

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

More exposure to radiation from airplane rides? How is that? I'm just curious because I haven't heard that analogy. Anyway, thanks for the response!

Old 01-20-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
(female)

Jade001 HB User

OHHHH!!!! I want to know the answer to this too!!!!!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
(female)

peace1910 HB User

the source of radiation is the sun....our atmosphere filters out and reflects alot of it back into space....since our atmosphere is being degraded it cannot reflect as much back into space...hence global warming. it has been proven that our suns effect on us is increasing, lots more sunburns even is areas of the country where traditionally we didn't get burned too much.( i'm from minnesota)
so, when you get into an airplane, the higher up into the atmoshpere you are, the more ultraviolet radiation you get, the more x-radiation you get. all x-ray is, is ultrahigh light waves. any way hope this helps with the airplane question.

peace

Last edited by peace1910; 01-21-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

td9997 HB User

I get my share of radiation in just dental xrays and mammagrams,

I always notice the attendant doing/runnin the gamma ray machine stands behind a steel wall. 80)

If its so minut why does the tech stand behind that wall?

Ive been told if youve been exposed to gamma rays through minor x-rays.

Drink alot of water to flush the Isotope out of your system.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
(female)

peace1910 HB User

the techs will stand behind the wall because they do x-rays about 100 times a day and the accumulative dose is what will get you into trouble....this is something they are exposed to EVERY DAY... we only get it a couple times a year if we are lucky. in most states only certified technologists who have gone through years of school and who know how to reduce not only their own radiation dose, but yours as well. it is something i was taught is school like it came from the bible.
and when you talk about isotopes, that is an entirely different kind of radiation that is injected to your blood where it binds to cancer cells and others as well and a big detector you lay under records the varying strength of radiation uptake in the bones, organs, etc. it is after THIS kind of test that you need to drink more water to help flush the radioisotope out of your system faster..
to try to put ppl's minds at rest, you'd have to have near constant exposure over a long time to have to worry about detrimental effects of radiation in your health. i'm an old x-ray tech and i'm still alive and kicking after more than 35 yrs in the field.........good luck to all..................denise peace

Old 01-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Well, I would like to disagree. True it is an accumulation of radiation on the same area that will cause problems.

Back in the 1950's when it was popular for dermatologists to use strong x-ray to fry the skin to clear acne on the face, I was one of those patients. Yes, my face was fried (felt like bacon sizzling in a frying pan) and then peeled, over time of treatments every week my face was looking good. In later years developed Rosacea, result from x-ray treatment. I live with a red face all the time and I am not a young spring chicken! So, damage does stay with you for 50+ years.

In later years a dermatologist figured up the rads of x-ray I had been exposed to and it was almost maximum rads. He said I did not have radiation disease but did have radiation damage and for me to be very cautious when it comes to radiation exposure.

Of course all the x-ray treatments were without protection for my thyroid, thus, I am hypothyroid as a result from all the radiation.

It is a good thing techs stand behind a wall for protection, that is the reason many techs never have any problems with their health due to radiation exposure. Patients are not that protected.

Last edited by Misty800; 01-23-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Closed Thread