It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

JustMeInID HB User
Swollen Hands

Why are my hands swollen every morning? As far as I can tell, it's only my hands. My feet and ankles look normal, as do my wrists. As the morning progresses the swelling recedes, and this has been happening only about the last three or four months. I haven't gained any weight, in fact I've lost weight (on purpose). I stopped using table salt several months ago. I drink about 8 glasses of water a day, which includes a couple of cups of coffee.

Upon awakening, it's impossible to get my rings off before I shower, and my hands feel like little sausages. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User
Re: Swollen Hands

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, hypothyroidism, Do you take any drugs? Also i doubt the hypo because you said you lost weight. Also some people just swell up sometimes, maybe a food allergy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
(female)

JustMeInID HB User

Thanks for replying. Yes, I take drugs for hypertension and asthma, but I've been on those for years. Well, come to think of it, I didn't start the Advair until just about the time this hands-swelling thing started happening.... Wonder if that could have anything to do with it....?

I thought about carpel tunnel, but would it be unusual to have it in both wrists?

Old 02-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

adamace1 HB User

I would talk with your doctor about it, may be a med your on, also i see no reason why someone couldn't have CT is both hands, but i would think you should have pain and other problems. Are you eating any new foods? like diet food?

Old 02-22-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
(female)

willowsmum HB User
Wink Re: Swollen Hands

From what I can remember CTS also has terrible pins and needles in the fingers; not much help I know. I too have high blood pressure and take pills to control it, I've always put my swollen fingers in the mornings down to arthritis, some days it is worse than others - I'd go see your doctor, but let us know how you get on.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
(female)

13Flamingo HB User

I can't believe I found this today! I woke up again this morning with swollen hands that resemble Jimmy Dean sausages. It doesn't happen often and it, too, recedes in a short amount of time. I have hypothyroidism for which I take meds. Been taking it for years, though, and have notice the swelling only in the last six months or so. I too have lost weight on purpose (35 lbs), which is very difficult because of the thyroid biz.

You're not alone, JustMe. But it sure is frustrating, isn't it? My doc will get an earful when I see him next month.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #7
(female)

13Flamingo HB User

PS -- I also have CTS, but have had that for many years, and no swelling until recently.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
(female)

JustMeInID HB User

Hi 13Flamingo. Whatever it was that was making my hands swell (can't believe it's been a year ago!) has gone away. I think it had something to do with the Advair and my body getting used to it, if that's possible. Now I just seem to have some arthritis in the little finger on my left hand, but I flex my hand a few times after waking up and the pain and stiffness soon goes away.

Please post after you've seen your doctor and let us know what the "verdict" is.

Closed Thread