It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
(male)

SST27 HB User
Sore Muscles/Joints with Extreme Fatigue

Ok, I'm 27 years old and I get at least 6 hours of sleep a night. I don't wake up at all during the night... Well, maybe for a second every now and again. But when I wake up, it feel as if I never slept at all. I'm sore all over and this is all day. Especially from my hips down to my feet. All I want to do is stretch my legs all day. Joints and muscles are very sore. I work at a computer all day but I still get up every once in a while to move around and stretch. This is all accompanied with being extremely tired. I can't stay awake at work. I could fall asleep standing up if I wanted to. Anyone else feel like this?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
Re: Sore Muscles/Joints with Extreme Fatigue

Hi SST27. I suggest having your thyroid tested. A thyroid disorder can cause these symptoms. Ask to have the Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3,
T4) and thyroid antibodies tested. They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view.

If you need help interpreting your results, get a copy and post them at the thryoid board at this site. The people there are great.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
(male)

SST27 HB User

Oh, never even thought of something like that. I'll definetly have to check into that cause even though the soreness isn't keeping me off my feet, it is very draining on me. Thank you very much for the info.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
(male)

SST27 HB User

Could this also have anything to do with me having my adenoids removed when I was younger?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI SST27. I don't know if it is related to having your adenoids removed, but I don't think it is likely.

Thyroid disorders are faily common and can cause the symptoms you describe. Definitely ask for the tests that are listed or you will not have a complete picutre. You should have your iron levels checked too.

The Following User Says Thank You to ticker For This Useful Post:
SandieRC (12-28-2010)
Old 03-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
(male)

SST27 HB User

Just got the results back from my blood test and everything was ok.... I do have tendonitis in both of my thumbs but thats it. They did THS, RH, and ANA testing I believe. Thought for sure it was going to be a thyroid because I even got a massage the other day and there was a spot in my foot where the thyroid is tied to which is right under the big toe. Kind of glad nothing is wrong, but then again now I don't know what to do.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

KittenPaws HB User

Your TSH can be "normal" to doctors but not normal to you, you also need your Free T3 and Free T4's checked.. most doctors only go based on TSH. I'm one of the few that when my TSH is normal for my body i still have the same symptoms so my T3/T4 have to be adjusted as well.

Also you might consider fibromyalgia if everything works out okay with the thyroid. My fibro started out as tendonitis and overuse syndrom in lots of my joints/muscles. Lots of people with fibro have associated leg/hip pain as well. Just something else to look into.

Also you could be waking up at night...and not even realize it. Only a sleep study can rule this out though.

Good luck!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi SST27. Did you have the Free T3, Free T4, and thyroid antibodies tested? These are necessary to get a comprehensive view of your thyroid.

As KittenPaws stated, even if your tests are in the normal range they may not be optimal for you. If you have antibodies present, other results can be normal but treatment is warranted.

Do you have a copy of your results?

Old 03-30-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
(male)

SST27 HB User

My doctor is actually setting me up with a Rhuematologist....(not sure on the spelling). I do know that my mom and her mother have/had thyroid problems and my other grandmother had diabetes and very bad arthritis.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User

I'm curious but have you ever had Monoculeosis? Symptoms of this are fatigue (tired all the time), muscular aches & stiffness, headaches, dizziness, hot flushes & some people also experience abdominal cramping/groin pain due to their spleen being enlarged.

However not everyone with MONO will experience the above symptoms. The most common symptoms is fatigue. Also get checked for Anemia & have your white & red cell count checked also.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:47 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SST27 I hope you can get those tests done. Thyroid disorders can be hereditary.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Sst27, just for information, cruise through the thyroid board here on this web site. There are many people there who can give you information that you may need. I have a thyroid disorder and have gain so much knowledge from the posters on the board. It won't cost anything, and will only take as much time as you choose at your convenience. You could gain very valuable information to obtain better health.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
(male)

SST27 HB User

Thank you to everyone who posted back. Going to the Rheumatologist in 2 weeks. Didn't think about mono cause I've had the fatigue every since I can remember. Feels like the more I sit around at work, the more achy I get. Like I said, I do stretch and get up and move around pretty often though. Not sure if I said any of this but along with my severe fatigue, I have the sore/achy joints and muscles, and I also have very very bad knots in my neck and shoulders. My sister in-law is a massage therapist and she says they are the worst she's felt. Was checked for anemia and that was ok. Could I have arthritis even though my blood work for it showed up ok? Hopefully the Rheumatologist can shed some light on all of this.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

SST, please ask the rheumatologist to do blood work for your thyroid also. Rheumatologists are often familiar with thyroid disorders. You have classic symptoms of hypothyroidism, it is often overlooked. I am not saying that you do have a thyroid disorder, but it is definately worth your while to have the lab work done, if for nothing else to rule it out. Simple blood test could tell you. The rheumatologist will most likely order blood work anyway, ask to have thyroid tests included. If you are hypothyroid, it is very simple to manage with a supplemental thyroid hormone in pill form taken daily. If it is your thyroid, with proper treatment you can be feeling MUCH better soon.

Good Luck and keep us posted to your progress!!!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:24 PM   #15
(male)

SST27 HB User

I did have blood work done which included Thyriod testing but everything came back ok.

Closed Thread