It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
(male)

Josoccer HB User
Swollen Knee but no pain

Hi Guys! New here..

I'm having trouble finding information on my condition before I probably go seek medicinal services.

But to lay out what happened:

I was playing soccer a few weeks ago, and I tripped and essentially kneed the ground. We were playing on turf so I guess this is like cement, turf/rubber. now that hurt, I played the rest of the game, came home, iced down my knee, and everything seemed alright.

I played a few more games after the incident. But I noticed my knee is still swollen, almost like there is extra skin, no pain, I can run, walk, jump, but the knee is noticebly (however not overwhelmingly noticebly) larger than the other.

actually one day it looked fine and I thought ah it must have been nothing, but it's larger again.

So it's basically a swollen knee or just disfigured from my other knee, my other knee is kind of slender but this knee is like rounded ... but there is no pain to speak of, maybe a little bit (on a scale of 1-10 being a 1) when i massage around it to feel for anything wrong. I don't know...

Thank you if you have any ideas

-Joe

Old 04-19-2007, 05:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Swollen Knee but no pain

This could just be whats called an "effusion' its just an accumulation of fluid that occurs with certain levels of inflammation,and resulting damage to very very tiny vessels in the underlying tissue.the no pain thing is good though.but it doesn't always mean that you may not have actually caused some level of damage.you could have done any number of things to it but it just has not showen itself yet.but i am thinking,given your symptoms,the best thing to do would just see your primary/family doc.have it evaluated and also have that fluid(or what i am assuming is just fluid)aspirated with a needle.it sounds worse than it actually is.i have had this done many times to my own knee for medical reasons that keeps having it come back,but my son had one many years ago under similar circumstances that you are in now,and once it was done,he has been fine ever since.

anytime our bodies suffer injury espescially a direct force type injury such as yours,there will be swelling becasue of inflammation,and seeping of fluid from small vessels within the inderlying tissue that just get damaged or broken(these are very very tiny vessels).in some cases and in particular areas of the body(mostly joints for some reason),some of that fluid forms a little pocket,and there is just too much for the body to absorb in there all at one time.this is the area that needs the aspiration done.if you bend your knee slightly,and then just start pushing around the more swollen looking areas,you can probably feel that pocket in there,you can tell there is some fluid there when you push on it.theres no tissue,just fluid?this just needs to be removed.

just make an appt to see your primary doc and have this fully evaluated,he may want to even do some simple x rays just to make certain everything is still intact inside there.there is always a very slim chance that you could have an actual injury but just cannot actually feel it because a particular nerve was also damaged.you just need to make certain that this is not the case.if the nerve is damaged,you just would not always be able to feel the very real pain that would have come out from that particular injury if that nerve had not been damaged.very remote chance here but one that just has to be considered,thats all.but just getting that fluid out and then seeing how things go after that will usually tell you whether or not there was an actual inury there or everything is back to normal with no real damage.you just need to be sure.good luck,hopefully this is just an effusion that will be gone and overwith once its aspirated out of your knee.please let me know what happens,K? FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
(male)

Josoccer HB User

Thank you FB for the ever so extensive response!

Yeah I do feel a sort of fluid around my knee, I guess when i head back home I can go the EMO and have it checked out, I hope it's not a damaged nerve as well. After I kneed the ground my knee felt like ti went numb for a little bit, but I hope it's just an effusion as well and I can get this taken care of.

Thank you so much again! I'll let you know how it goes!

-Joe

Old 04-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I hope too that it is just a simple effusion,and yes,i do want to know how this all goes.thanks,FB

Closed Thread