It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

ventcrew HB User
Unhappy Puffy (swollen) spot. What could it be?????

Hello all,

I have never posted here, but thought you all might have good input. I am a 50 year old female in menopause. I noticed about 4 days ago I have a slight puffy area on my left breast inside bottom where my ribs attach to the sternum. There is not an actual lump. My whole breast bone is sore and when I push all over my breast bone area (left especially) it feels sore and bruised. I have an area above my left breast about 10 o'clock spot (looking at me) that is raised and feels the same way. I had a chest MRI on Jan 20, 2007 because of this area and it came back negative. Thank God!!! I have numerous health problems one being intracranial hypertension they are trying to find out why. I have problems is my cervical and t-spine. What could this be. I have an appt. with my Gyno on May 24th. I had my last mammo in June 2007. I am scared to death. Do you think this could be cancer? I do not know if this is related to the breast or my spinal problems. They also think I have some kind of inflammatory disorder. I truly appreciate all of your input.

Thank you,

Karen
ventcrew

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User
Re: What could this be? Sore Breast Bone Area!!!

Since you asked I'd like to know too. I've had it on and off for a few years now about 5. I am 38 yr. If I massage it and the muslce right next to it all the way under my armpit it goes away. I just fiqured I pulled something ......again.... while at the gym and it never healed correctly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Re: What could this be?? Sore breat bone area!

Hi,

Sounds as if you may have costochondritis (inflamation of the chest wall). I get sore spots all over my chest that feel like I have been beaten, get shooting pains. I cannot touch myself nor stand heavy clothes on when it is acting up. Last evening I had a Echo done, my ribs in under my breast, a area half way between the nipple and center chest and above my breast hurt so bad I was awake almost night with the pain, just from the tech pushing in with that probe.

The swelling maybe tsetse (SP) which is costo with swelling. I know how much this hurts, I have this for years. Sometimes you do not know the spots are there until you touch the area and other times wow.

Do a search in the advanced search on costochondritis and see all the posts on different boards. Heat helps me most of the time. I use to have this left side but now it is both sides.

You did not mention if you have FM, there are a lot of trigger and tender points in the chest.

I also have thorastic spine arthritis and bone spurs, same in my cervical along with a herniation.
Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Last edited by pa235; 05-03-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User
Re: What could this be?? Sore swollen breast bone area!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventcrew View Post
Hello all,

I am a 50 year old female in menopause. I noticed about 4 days ago I have a slight puffy area on my left breast inside bottom where my ribs attach to the sternum. There is not an actual lump. My whole breast bone is sore and when I push all over my breast bone area (left especially) it feels sore and bruised. I have an area above my left breast about 10 o'clock spot (looking at me) that is raised and feels the same way. I had a chest MRI on Jan 20, 2007 because of this area and it came back negative. Thank God!!! I have numerous health problems one being intracranial hypertension they are trying to find out why. I have problems is my cervical and t-spine. What could this be. I have an appt. with my Gyno on May 24th. I had my last mammo in June 2007. I am scared to death. Do you think this could be cancer? I do not know if this is related to the breast or my spinal problems. They also think I have some kind of inflammatory disorder. I truly appreciate all of your input. I have not been diagnosed with Lyme. I am on a waiting list to see a LLMD in Michigan.

Thank you,

Karen
ventcrew
Karen, I don't know if this is exactly what you are experiencing, but 13 years ago I was diagnosed with Tietze Syndrome, it is swelling of the cartlidge around the breastbone, it causes pain, swelling and tenderness, and can hurt worse when taking a deep breath. It usually goes away on it's own in a few months.It is painful but nothing of great concern, like cancer. I was very tender and swollen all around breastbone area. This could possibly be your problem, ask your doctor about it before you scare yourself too much, he/she can prescribe anti inflammatories and muscle relaxers to relieve the pain. I hope this is all that it is. Good Luck , Sarah

Old 05-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Fibromyalgia trigger spots are in the areas you mention. Ask your doctor to check for Fibromyalgia. Yeah, some docs believe it is a real disease and others do not, but, I am here to tell you it is real. A rheumatologist is usually the type doctor to see.

I have had fibro for over 50 years but only diagnosed as such since 1984. I do not take meds specifically for fibro. I did try Elavil, two doses and it crashed me totally. Been afraid to take another or similar med since. I tough it out, take Tylenol Extra Strength on rare occasions (Tylenol is not good for us either). There is no known cause for fibro and no known cure. Yes, there are lots of meds out there that are given for fibro. I asked a lady one time if all those meds really helped that she was taking and she insisted they were. My next question was, "Do you still have hurt"? The answer was "OH YES. I decided if I was going to hurt after taking all those meds, I would just hurt without the meds, keep my money, and not be drugged.

A slow firm deep circular massage will reduce the pain. Will be painful to massage but it does work. I use a heavy duty vibrator on my back for same purpose.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
(female)

ventcrew HB User

Thanks all for responding. I did see a Rheumatologists, but she said I do not have fibro because I have no trigger points below my waist. I have the trigger points in the upper body except the elbows. My neurologists is referring me to Rheumatology at the University of Michigan. I already started the red tape. I can not wait to get to the bottom of this. If anyone has a minute or could look at all my other posts I started (ventcrew) maybe you all could help me. I have tons of symptoms and have posted on several boards. You help would be greatly appreciated on finding out what is wrong with me.

Thanks,

Karen
ventcrew

Old 05-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

thats the same question i was going to post. I have been having breast/rib pain for several days now. It even goes down to the very last rib, but the majority of the pain is in the front area, the breast bone. ive taken motrin but it hasnt helped. I keep telling my hubby it feels like ive been hit there repeatedly, i have fibro as well so i was thinking this was just a new thing. It is not hurting to breathe tho, but once in a while when i take a long deep breath in, it does hurt. the other areas, even the last rib and everything in between the ribs hurt so much to the touch.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Hi y'all, the correct spelling of the condition is Tietze syndrome, you were right about what it is though, it is just like Costrochondritis but with swelling. I was diag. with it 13 years ago. doc said it isn't a serious condition, but it is definately painful. Mine still comes and goes, I guess I have just gotten use to it, I do sometimes also not realize it hurts until I touch the area. believe it or not when I went to PT years ago the PT told me to buy a Tennis ball and lean up against the wall with the ball between me and the ball and push hard on the breastbone area, rolling the ball around on the wall. she said that this would break up the knotted areas and release the toxic build up in the knots. It does actually help. I was in PT for Fibro, she said this condition is common. Hope this could help, Sarah

Last edited by sarah92202; 05-04-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

deinee HB User
Re: What could this be?? Sore breast bone area!!

I don't have any answer for you, but I hope you get it figured out soon. I would be encouraged that the MRI was negative. I know costacondritis, which is an inflamation of sternum or breastbone, is very common in peri-menopause. Many women feel they are having heart problems and it is really this inflamation. Please let us know how things turn out for you. Ann

Old 05-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
(female)

ventcrew HB User

Thanks all for responding. I think that is exactly what I have. I puffiness has actually gotten smaller along with the pain almost gone. I have not been diagnosed with fibro or chronic myofascial pain syndrome but I swear I have one of them. I went to a rheumatologists and she said no I do not have fibro because I do not have any tender spots below the waist. I get sore (very sore) bumpy areas (you can actually feel the bumpy areas) that come and go all on my shoulders, back, chest, stomach. I have a boat load of other symptoms. My neuro is sending me to rheumatology at the university of michigan if these last few tests do not show anything. Thank God he believes me and knows how bad I feel. It sure helps to have a doctor believe you. It also helps me so much to talk to people like you all. Thanks again. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,

Karen
ventcew

Old 05-06-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Did the Rheumi test you for autoimmune diseases? Sarah

Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 AM   #12
(female)

ventcrew HB User

Sarah,

The only thing the Rheumi did was give me a complete physical (looking, bending, twisting and poking all over my body) I had a blood test done for Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis by another doctor that came out negative. What else can or should I have them do? Thanks for your input.

karen
ventcrew

Old 05-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #13
(female)

mere71 HB User

I have the same issue - I have Fibro/CFS and Lyme etc. I am getting better on the MP but I think its a herx reaction or just residual inflammation atleats that is what my rhumy thinks - it hurts to touch - I need a mammo gram but im not looking forward to it b/c it hurts all in my breast as well as the bones underneath and sometimes I do have pain when I breath deeply on my left side. It comes and goes but its been around for about a month now.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User

all i know is that it a miserable condition, extremely painful. the meds the docs have given me for the fibro barely touch the pain i feel on the breastbone and ribs right now. ive been using a heating pad everyday for some relief, tho its not much.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

sarah92202 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventcrew View Post
Sarah,

The only thing the Rheumi did was give me a complete physical (looking, bending, twisting and poking all over my body) I had a blood test done for Lupus and Rheumatoid Arthritis by another doctor that came out negative. What else can or should I have them do? Thanks for your input.

karen
ventcrew
Karen, I honestly don't know without knowing your other symptoms. Alot of my pain is caused by Adrenal Insufficiency, which i was diag. with 4 years ago, but then found out it was secondary, I have Lyme disease. You could look into Lyme or AI (Addison's Disease) and see if the symptoms sound like what you are experiencing. I spent 8 years going to a Rheumi who couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. They told me first fibro, then undifferentiated connective tissue disease, whatever. that just means they don't have a clue. What Lupus tests did they run? Did they test Thyroid? The Rheumi that you saw before doesn't sound like too good of a doc. Usually rheumi's run every autoimmune test they know of during the first visit. Keep us informed, Sincerely, Sarah

Closed Thread