It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
(female)

Horizons20 HB User
Lump in Hand. Opinions?

Last week I noticed a small blueberry-sized lump located on my lower hand above my wrist, in the space between my index and middle fingers. I don't have a job, or insurance and consequently I'm living with my mother. She looked at it and she said it looked liked I'd hit my hand on something and had a lump pop up. When I flex my wrist upwards the lump goes down and disappears. The more I bend my wrist forward the more the bump pops up and becomes visible. The lump was completely painless when I discovered it. I didn't think much about it and accepted my mother's answer for how I'd gotten it even though I didn't remember hitting my hand on anything.

That was until yesterday. The lump looked bigger to me yesterday than it was the week before, but my mother said it looked the same. Now it also hurts. It hurts when I press on the lump. I also have several veins in that area. My veins have a tendency to roll so whenever I move my wrist the veins in my hand move and roll over the lump, this causing my vein to "jump" over the lump which feels very strange and uncomfortable. I put some IcyHot on my hand yesterday, it did burn, but only around the lump, not on the lump. I've since also been alternating hot and cold packs on my hand and keeping it in a carpel tunnel brace to prevent me from moving my wrist so I can stop the "vein jumping". My mother said this morning that the lump looked smaller, but I'm questionable as to wether its smaller or the same size.

My mother's still adament that she thinks I hit my hand on something and that its nothing I need to worry about. I am, of course, worrrying about it since I've had it for two weeks now and it was never there before. I think it probably needs to be looked at, just in case. But she refuses to consider doing an appointment.

Any opinions on what this lump in my hand might be?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: Lump in Hand. Opinions?

Sounds like a ganglion cyst to me- in which case it really is usually nothing to worry about. If it becomes too large or painful, it can be removed.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi
Sounds like you popped a small vein. Leave it be, maybe, for a few more days and just try not to overuse the hand. Do you by any chance spend a lot of time on the computer typing with that particular hand?

If it doesn't go away or improve in the next few days, then bring it to Mom's attention again.

Good Luck
reachout

Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
(female)

stcmom2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffkid View Post
Sounds like a ganglion cyst to me- in which case it really is usually nothing to worry about. If it becomes too large or painful, it can be removed.
I agree - I've had a couple ganglion cysts removed in my life, and the doctors say they really don't know what causes them. The theory is a reaction to previous trauma or overuse. Basically it's a fluid filled sac (bursa), and the usual reason to remove it is when it starts causing pain or interfering with function. In my case, they were rather large and on my foot so I couldn't wear shoes, so I had them removed. On the hand or wrist they may swell and wane, so unless it causes pain or gives you problems I would just keep a close eye on it for further swelling, redness, any suspicious activity that would lead you to think this is not a ganglion cyst. hth.

Closed Thread