It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
(male)

Ambition HB User
I have something stuck in my throat. How do I get it out?

I have a piece of pear stuck in my throat and it's really uncomfortable. I have tried swallowing it and it won't go down. I have tried coughing it up, and it won't come out. I have tried eating lots of other food to push it down and it won't go down. This bit of pear stuck in my throat is very uncomfortable, annoying and it's driving me nuts!

Any ideas of how I can get it out of my throat?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User
Re: I have something stuck in my throat. How do I get it out?

Are you sure it isn't Acid Reflux? It can feel like a lump of something is stuck in your throat. Try taking an antacid of some kind. I wouldn't normally recommend taking any of those over the counter (or even prescription) acid reflux meds because, from my experience, they do more harm than good and, the acid is not the problem. You need acid in your body. It is that valve that is the issue.

But, they can help some people and it could help you. Otherwise, for proper diagnosis, you should see a doctor and have them give you a barium swallow.

Take care and keep in touch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
(female)

bonzer HB User

i have heard that it just feels like it is stuck at this point in time. it abraded a spot and that is what you are feeling. i hope this is right and that you are feeling better.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
(female)

Imajeanation HB User

My brother-in-law got a pill stuck in his throat once and it did cause a bad erosion...it just became adhered and caused an ulceration. He had to go to the doctor to get it removed. After that, the ulcer healed up quickly. Hope this helps some.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
(male)

Ambition HB User

Thanks for the help guys. So maybe it isn't a piece of pear? But I swear I started feeling it about two minutes after I ate a pear! I didn't feel it before I ate the pear either.

I thought that sleep would make it go away, but I slepped well last night, and at first I thought it was gone and now I can feel it again every time I swallow.

Should I wait and see if the lump goes away until I follow your advice, or should I follow your advice now (about seeing a doctor or taking an antacid)?

Thanks for your help. You people are very kind.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hating glasses HB User

Given that you woke up not feeling the lump and then it came back, it sounds like Acid Reflux to me. Some people have a worse attack of it when the go to sleep because the motion of laying down actually makes the valve open more or something. But, I don't have that problem when I have an attack. As I sleep, if I have had an attack of Acid Reflux all day, about 10 minutes after I lay down, it goes away. So, my recommendation is that you see your doctor first to make sure it isn't something like an abrasion or something actually stuck in there. They will give you a Barium swallow and some other tests. At least, that is what they did with me around 7 or 8 years ago, more or less.

In the mean time, don't eat or drink anything acidic. Stay away from any red foods like pasta sauces or enchilada sauces, salsas, or anything spicey. For some reason, whenever I have had an attack, my body's natural draw was to white foods like potatoes or white rice with salt and butter. I don't know why. But, those were the only foods I could eat, and actually craved them and they seemed to help the acid reflux go away. Don't drink any sodas and some say that water only kicks the acid up a notch. I don't know how true that is. You have to drink something to keep yourself hydrated. I guess just try water and see if you feel worse or better. Stay away from chocolate and processed sugary foods. I have read that apple cider vinegar (a tablespoon) can help alleviate an acid reflux attack. You might give that a shot. If you have an herbal store you might go find an enzyme tablet to take. Just go in and ask someone if they have something to help alleviate acid reflux. I have found success with herbal remedies after having no success with stuff like Pepcid AC. Plus, they are natural so, unless you are allergic to them, they won't hurt you and can only help you get more healthy. And, they are not meant to completely kill the necessary acid in your stomach.

But, again, you should find out for sure that it is acid reflux by visiting your doctor.

Take care and keep in touch!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
(female)

Imajeanation HB User

Oh, don't get me wrong! It very well could be the pear! I....'m....thinkin'...ya....best....get. ....to....the.....doctor....ya think? Don't wait, now. Sorry, it just doesn't sound like acid reflux to me!

Last edited by Imajeanation; 07-12-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

It is very possible to bruise your esophagus or rough it up from swallowing wrong. Seriously. And then for awhile afterwards, you think something is still stuck in there.

If after two weeks you are not better a visit to a doc is warranted. Even if all he does is look in there and say "there's nothing there."

Closed Thread