It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User
Pins/needles type pain in knee - ironically I suspect that acupuncture did it

Hi. I've been having a few acupuncture sessions lately, and the last few times it was done on my knees (I have had previous pain from injuries and other things) - but ever since the last treatment - a new kind of pain has persisted in my right knee.

When I bend my knee, I get pins and needles type pain on the left side of the knee cap... it feels as if someone is stabbing me with a needle into my nerves in that spot. I noticed that it only started hurting that like after the acupuncture treatment on that knee.

What can I do? I'm totally clueless...

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Pins/needles type pain in knee - ironically I suspect that acupuncture did it

there could be a couple of reasons for what you are feeling.either the accupuncture needle penetrated and damaged a nerve or the actual injuries/roblems that caused the pain in the first place could have just progressed or the needle triggered some injury that was already there,you know what i mean?have you ever actually had an MRI done on that knee in order to seek out what the real problems are?this was the only way my ortho found what was really going on in mine.there was a heck of alot more in there than I ever could have possibly thought.an MRI would just give a more definitive picture of what is actually causing your problems in the first place.and i would most definitely speak to whoever did your accu just so they are aware of the issue.it definitely sounds like the actual nerve on that side was affected in some way tho,just given your symptoms.

i would speak with the accu person about this sudden symptomology you have going on that is different than before the accu was done,and then try and obtain an MRI on that knee.your primary doc can order it up with no problem.depending on what is actually found going on would didtate whether a trip to an ortho for a consult would be the best way to go.but it really does need to be fully evaluated by someone who knows knees at some point(ortho doc),i would say the sooner the better if there is possibility of nerve affectation or damage.with nerves,the longer it goes with compression or damage that is not relieved,the much higher risk you run of that damage becomming a permanent fixture.my right knee is a big mess right now,believe me,you want this looked at before it actually gets to that point.there is so many different things within the knee and the joint that can be deteriorated,or torn or ripped or just plain worn out.our knees just go thru alot of wear and tear over the years.it just needs evaluating soon.i wish you luck with this and hope there isn't any permanent nerve damage.sometimes a nerve can be just 'stunned' from being hit and will come back with time,other times it can be permanently damaged.a test called an EMG can tell for certain whether that nerve is or is not flowing energy to the muscle.it should probably also be done at some point too.you just need to know this stuff ya know?please keep me posted on how things are going,K? FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 01:47 AM   #3
(male)

ctrl-alt-del HB User
Re: Pins/needles type pain in knee - ironically I suspect that acupuncture did it

OK - thank you very much for your reply!

I just want to give an update and say that the pain is going away now... so it was definitely an acupuncture needle that hit a nerve and made things worse temporarily.

Closed Thread