It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
(male)

wraith715 HB User
Norco vs. Vicodin

i am suffering from a back injury now for 3 years. i was on vicodin for about a year and now i am on Norco. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two?

Old 08-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: Norco vs. Vicodin

Norco and Vicodin are the same thing. They are both brand names for hydrocodone/acetaminophen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
(female)

cdaus HB User

Norco will be easier on your liver--less acetaminophen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith715 View Post
i am suffering from a back injury now for 3 years. i was on vicodin for about a year and now i am on Norco. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the two?

Old 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
(female)

Hottytotty3 HB User

They are similar but not the same. It's true they are both made of the same materials but Vicodin comes in more than one strength. An example is Vicodin 5/500. That means it has 5 mg of hydrocodone (the pain killer) and 500 is the amount of acetaminophen (the anti-inflam part). Norco is a 10/325 tablet which is higher for pain killer but less damaging to your liver because it has less tylenol (acetaminophen). If you need to be on a pain killer long term then the Norco would be best unless you plan on doing routine liver panels (lab work) to monitor the damage being done, if any. Hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Thanks, hottytotty. I didn't know that! Maybe I need to switch to Norco. I've been on Vicodin for about 8 months and doc tells me to expect to use it or something similar for the rest of my life.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #6
(male)

wraith715 HB User

Thank you so much everyone for helping me on this issue. I do have one more question though. Is there anything stronger than Norco, and if so would any of you recommend taking it if need be, or just stay with the Norco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottytotty3 View Post
They are similar but not the same. It's true they are both made of the same materials but Vicodin comes in more than one strength. An example is Vicodin 5/500. That means it has 5 mg of hydrocodone (the pain killer) and 500 is the amount of acetaminophen (the anti-inflam part). Norco is a 10/325 tablet which is higher for pain killer but less damaging to your liver because it has less tylenol (acetaminophen). If you need to be on a pain killer long term then the Norco would be best unless you plan on doing routine liver panels (lab work) to monitor the damage being done, if any. Hope this helps.

Last edited by wraith715; 08-09-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

there are alot of things stronger than norco.what is your main pain generator?that would dictate more what type of actual meds would best help with your particular type of pain.does the norco work at all for your pain?

hey Blue?just an FYI here but if you were told that you will most likely have to be on narcotics long term,it really would be a good idea to talk with your doc about trying the more long acting types of narcotics,just to gain much better coverage with absolutely no tylenol.that really is an ideal situation for long term usage,no tylenol at all to have to deal with.it does add up ya know?just some thoughts to ponder. FB

Closed Thread