It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
(male)

rpmk104 HB User
Confrontation with opossum, need advice and guidance regarding rabies.

Hey everyone.

Last night I found a opossum (or possum?) napping under the hood of my car. So I opened the hood and spent a good 20mins trying to make it climb out of my engine bay. It was hidding well inside the engine bay so I had to use a wooden broome handle to guide it out.

The opossum wasn't aggressive and was calm. It hissed at me when I polked with my the stick to try to guide it out of the engine bay. It even took a bite at the end of the stick. After a good 20mins, I was able to make it jump out of my engine bay and it ran away.

I did not have any direct contact with the opossum, however I did handle the broome stick without gloves during and after the confrontation (I was sweeping the driveway) and I dont remember if I have came incontact with the saliva that was present on the end of the stick.

I did not have any scratches or wounds on my hands.

I am not sure how to go about with my situation. I am just very worried about being exposed to rabies. Should I go seek treatment? My dad had also handled the stick without gloves, should we both seek treatment?

Please help me, I am getting close to the point of going straight to the ER.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User
Re: Confrontation with opossum, need advice and guidance regarding rabies.

If you are at all worried, at least call the ER. They will be able to tell you if it's necessary to come in for treatment.

I doubt you have been infected, but, because rabies is mostly deadly if not caught before the symptoms appear, I would call just in case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Or call your local health department. In some areas, they are the ones that keep track of any rabies possibilities. When I lived in a rural area that had a lot of rabid racoons, the health department was the only organization that even had the rabies vaccine. The local hospital didn't have it, though the health department could provide it to them if necessary.

It sure wouldn't hurt to ask! You ought to for your peace of mind, if nothing else!

Old 08-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

I would seriously doubt you could contract rabies just by touching the broom handle. If you washed your hands before eating or touching your mouth. I believe it has to enter your bloodstream to infect you. If you are worried you can call the ER and ask to speak with a nurse.

If the possum had rabies - he probably wouldn't have been as calm as you say he was and biting the broom handle was just his way of trying to defend himself.

Hope this helps. God bless you . . . and that mischievious possum.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
(male)

rpmk104 HB User

i just got back from the ER. Doctor said I was nuts.

He said that rabies is just like HIV, needs direct contact with the bloodstream (cuts, bites, open wound etc) to get it.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

I've been having upper abdominal pain - been to the Er like three times in two weeks. I guess I am the local loon around here! Your not alone with the nuttiness. . . at least you can rest easy now.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
(male)

rpmk104 HB User

Yea it was getting out of hand,

I keep thinking aobut what if, what if.....

I think that is a bad road to follow so its better that I force myself to stop thinking that way.

Thanks for all your help and encouragements. Really needed it!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Your welcome. Have a blessed night. Oh . . .and stay away from those possums!

Closed Thread