It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
(male)

Slimlad HB User
Question Tingling, *****ly burning sensation in hands and feet

Hello everyone,

Anyone experienced the same/similar to myself that could shed some light on what might be my problem?

The story goes like this:

Last November I went to my GP and told him I had been experiencing a tingling sensation in my right foot. I had had this for three weeks to this point. It was a pretty mild sensation, similar to the onset of pins and needles, but never quite getting there, if you know what I mean.

He more or less told me it was nothing to worry about and sent me on my way.

The sensation continued and so I visited a chemist that carried out blood tests for Diabetes as I had read that tingling sensations can be a sign of type 2 diabetes. The test showed no problems in that area.

I tried to put it to the back of my mind but the sensation never totally went away.

Over the past couple of weeks I have begun to experience the same sensation in my left foot and also both hands.

So the current situation is:

Tingling, sensitivity to touch, burning sensation in both hands and feet. The sensations in my hands seem to worsen as the day progresses but I am aware of my right foot the moment I get up in the morning.

It is not just my fingertips which feel sore but the palms of my hands and, sometimes, a strange sensation on the back of my right hand which extends up my arm.

I also get the tingling extending up from my right foot to my knee.

The soles of my feet feel sore and also my heels when I put pressure on them, sometimes.

I have never had these sensations before and am becoming rather worried but am loathe to return to my doctor as I hate having to explain such 'vague' symptoms.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

The following user gives a hug of support to Slimlad:
Andonkor (10-26-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slimlad For This Useful Post:
alanb235 (04-11-2011), vdhar (06-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 03:30 AM   #2
(female)

Myth HB User
Re: Tingling, *****ly burning sensation in hands and feet

hi slimlad those symptoms arent vague your doctor is
tingling in hands & feet could be caused by many things everything from bad posture to pinched nerve , vitamin b12 deficiency ,fibromyalgia ,multiple sclerosis ,best find another doctor and insist on proper testing
all the best

Old 01-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
(male)

mikeWeng HB User

Have you been checked for MS and Chiari Malformation? My wife's worst symptom of Chiari right now (as far as we can tell) is extremely intense burning sensation in the hands (and sometimes the feet). She also loses feeling in both hands at the same time, which is a blessing compared to the burning.

Mike

Old 01-09-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
(male)

Slimlad HB User
Unhappy Re: Tingling, *****ly burning sensation in hands and feet

Hello Everyone,

An update to my situation:

I went to my doctor on September 5th. It was a different GP than I normally see and his first responce was to order blood tests.

I had to wait until September 25th to have my blood taken as one nurse was on holiday and the other sick.

I returned to see him and obatin my results on October 3rd.

All the tests he did came back okay. He asked how I was and I told him "No change".

He refered me to the neurology department of my local hospital and I had an appointment on November 27th.

I was examined by the registrar and he ordered further blood tests and an MRI of my head and cervical spine.

I had the MRI on December 27th. I today received a copy of the letter the hospital has sent to my GP. It did not include the results of the scan, which is perplexing.

Apparently my cranial nerves, and my cerebellar function, are normal.

There is mild weakness of toe extension as well as finger and thumb abduction bilaterally. More significant on the left than right.

Patchy hyperasthesia to pin ***** in a C6 distribution bilaterally and patches over trunk.

Reflexes generally increased with pathological spreading throughout.

Plantars both down going.

Sensory examination of legs reveal relative reduction in temperature sensation in left leg compared to right.

Soft upper motor neurone signs therefore ordered MRI of brain and cervical spine.

Serum electrophoresis, ANCA and autoimmune profile all normal.

6 Month follow up to assess whether abnormalities are progressing.

So, as you see I am still wondering why the heck I feel as I do and what I can do about it.

Best wishes.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
(female)

amyrohde HB User

Hi,
I have also had similar problems as tingling pins and needles, my hands seem hot also my feet. My hands cramp up and I feel tired and depressed a lot, I have tried to get my doctor to listen to me, but get treated like a hypacondriac so I have stopped complaining, they have taken lots of blood tests but nothing conclusive, my joints are very painfull but thats put down to gout, I have numbness on my right side. I had a brain scan some years ago and it showed scarring in my head but no other explanation. I feel terrible most of the time. everything I do seems really hard work, but if no one can tell you whats happening to you what can you do, Nothing.

The Following User Says Thank You to amyrohde For This Useful Post:
KOOLADE (09-28-2011)
Old 08-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I get that too. The pin *****ly sensations. I feel like my legs and arms fall asleep easy. I am wondering if it is age. I'm 43. Bad circulation? Being 20 to 30 pounds over weight? A pinched nerve? It bothers me. I did get nerve testing and muscle testing done at the neurolist a month ago and she found nothing abnormal. I don't know what to do? Let us know how you are. Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to TEdds83:
jamestowns (11-23-2010)
Old 08-26-2008, 05:32 AM   #7
(female)

JoAnne47250 HB User

Hello there!
My husband was doing some research on/for me and found this link. It sounds like we are suffering from the same condition. Mine started in both feet with the pins/needles. Then, both hands. When I visited my Dr., he didn't seem all that concerned that it was progressing up my arms and legs at what seemed like an alarming rate! I visited a neurologist, who ordered an MRI and 15 lab tests (including those for lupus, MS, and a host of other conditions). We were concerned about brain tumors, as they run in my family. Fortunately, my brain scan was normal. Then he ordered an MRI on my neck as well as xrays, thinking pinched nerves from a long-ago car accident. Nothing. He says I have an "unspecified nerve condition" that will probably never get better, and hopefully never get worse. It has gotten a little worse, but sometimes I have really good days and hardly feel any discomfort. Stress does seem to aggravate it, as does heavy exercise, but life cannot be avoided! I am leaning toward fybromyalgia, which has all of my symptoms, but won't have another checkup for about 6 weeks.
Do you get one-sided headaches? Tooth pain on the same side? I know I am going to have a flare-up when those come around (and the dentist and eye doctor have found nothing).
Good luck with your diagnosis. It is nice to know I am not suffering alone...
JoAnne

Old 08-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
(female)

JoAnne47250 HB User

No - it can't be age ! Please! I just turned forty in May! I have had this issue for almost a year. Also took myself off cholesterol meds,( since some can have the same side effects) for 3 weeks, no change. Sigh! The timing would have been close for that...Does anyone else have weird muscle spasms? First, it was my lower left eyelid, then my upper right lip, then big right toe, then.....argh!
Has anyone else out there changed his/her diet? Are we all female?
JoAnne

Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
(female)

JoAnne47250 HB User

Hello all,
It would seem from these posts that we all have the same clueless doctor, but that can't be possible!
My neuro is actually quite nice and really listens. I am going in a month earlier than scheduled because I haven't had a "good day" in almost two weeks. Symptoms are worse than ever. I feel like my skin is buzzing underneath - both arms and legs - and my tongue has numb spots. (at least the eye twitch is gone for now - I looked deranged). We are going to discuss medicinal options, I think. I had put off taking anything until now because my symptoms weren't interfering with my quality of life until recently. I am not sure how I get through the day sometimes, which makes me MAD at my body. I will let you know what he recommends, in case it might help some of you out there. JoAnne

Old 09-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User

Hello all,
It could be the cholesterol meds (statins). They can manifest with these sorts of symptoms and even going off them will not necessarily alleviate the problem. Sometimes permanent nerve damage is done. Try taking COQ10 since statins deplete the body of this and visit the Cholesterol board. They may have more information if this applies to you. Not all doctors are aware of these side effects so you may meet some resistance if you ask. Do some research on your own.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #11
(male)

dextermahadeo HB User

Hi all:

Has anyone got this figured out yet. I have the same symptoms as the person in the orginal post. Years ago (2000) I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis which eventually became Sceleroderma. Decided not to take any meds and followed the advice of someone on the 'Net. Stopped all wheat products and turned to healthy eating (as much natural stuff as possible). I also removed my 'mercury' fillings and a root canal. As well as exercised regularly. In six months time I was healthier than ever. So healthy that I chucked it all and started eating junk and stopped exercising. Also I switched jobs into IT and my job has become more demanding and 2 kids arrived...

The big question is "has anyone solved the mystery of increasing cramps. Right now it's bothering my typing - my wrists are cramping, but worst of all it has put an end to my guitar practice ( a childhood dream).

Please advise.

Closed Thread