It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2007, 08:00 AM   #1
(female)

9045ddnr347 HB User
Hemorrhoids after hemorrhoid surgery?

Help! I had a hemorrhoidectomy 9 days ago with a fistula repair. The worst surgery recovery I have ever had in my life. I have done everything the doctor has recommended. After 5 days had my first bm. Worse than giving birth. I called the doctors office yesterday to be referred to voice mail and did not get a response. My question is can new hemorrhoids develop in the recovery process... I swear they are back. At first I just thought it was swelling from the bm and surgery itself but what I am feeling feels just like the hemorroids that I thought I just got rid off. Did take a look in the mirror today and it looks like a smaller version of what I thought I had removed. When I put the nupercainal ointment on now and in the past 3 or 4 days I feel what feels like hemorroids to me when the first days of the surgery I felt flat skin? I appreciate any response I receive. I hope I haven't gone through all of this for nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited by 9045ddnr347; 10-20-2007 at 08:02 AM. Reason: mispelling

Old 10-21-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Hemorrhoids after hemorrhoid surgery?

904-
Oh girl, my heart truly goes out to you. I totally agree that this surgery is the absolute WORST in the world. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I too suffered tremendously with my first BM!!! Far, FAR worse than even natural childbirth!!! My first BM actually tore the sutures and I started bleeding immediately & had to go to the doctor to have it packed.

Anyway, what I can tell you is that even though you are 9 days into recovery, you are still very early in the recovery. What you are feeling/seeing is more than likely swelling from the surgery as well as the BM. For me, it took about 4 weeks before things started feeling/looking like a normal rectum down there. This is where the luke warm sitz baths w/epsom salts comes in as it does help with the swelling a bit. It certainly doesn't take it all away by any means, but it does help.

If by Monday, you are still concerned please do call your doctor again. If you are really concerned, it's always better to have it checked out just to be sure. That's what the doctor is paid for- the follow up care & addressing concerns of his patients. Good Luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
(female)

9045ddnr347 HB User

Thanks for the reply. It was a relief. I was so upset that I had gone through all of this just to still have hems. I go for follow up check up in 2 days. I plan on telling my doctor that I would have liked to have full knowledge of the aftermath of this surgery. He told me I would hate him for 1 week. Second week I would feel better and by week 3 I would wonder why I had not had the surgery sooner. Swelling and the time span of it were never brought up as I sit here on a padded seat to type this. If it wasn't for the swelling at this point of 11 days I feel good. I just want to feel like I don't have hems. This swelling thing feels like make it feel likethey were never removed.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ican tell you that my best friend during recovery and starting to have bowel movements was the Lidocaine cream. My doctor gave me a scrip for the cream and not the gel because the gel didn't stick as well, and the cream stayed on much MUCH longer because it's so thick. I would put it on first thing in the morning, and very quickly everything down there was numb. Then, when I started feeling like I would need to have a BM soon, I'd smear some more down there, and then afterwards I also put some more on just to help numb it again. It really helped. The Lidocaine cream actually did more for the pain than the percocet did.

I wish you the best in the rest of your recovery. You know what's funny? My surgeon told me almost the same thing, except he told me I'd hate him for at least 2 weeks!!! My actual recovery was like 4 weeks of pure "you-know-what"....but, I am glad I had it done.

Last edited by ozzybug; 10-23-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

I have been lurking on these boards researching my upcoming hemorrhoid surgery, and feel prepared (and scared to death!!) Ozzybug - I think you are the first person that has said you were glad you had it done. I would like to know how long ago you had your surgery ... and how long it took you to feel that way. Thanks so much.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:12 AM   #6
(female)

9045ddnr347 HB User

beach gal
While you are waiting for response from ozzy I thought I would fill you in on a couple of things I have found to be helpful. I had been taking citrucel every day, then Miralax to keep the stool soft and moving. I found that i was going 4, 5 and 6 times a day. The last thing I want to do at this point. On another post someone mentioned Colace. It is wonderful. I took 1 tab before bed. More productive and many less trips to the potty. Less trips to the bathroom have hepled greatly with the swelling. Also Advil every four hours. Also, I have a tub of Sensitive Baby Wipes in the bathroom its much easier and more comfortable than toilet paper. Another thing for me was, I have trouble with urinary tract infections for years. Gyn ordered no baths years ago which has taken care of most of the problem. All the Sitz baths brought on a UTI. I had the doctor call in an antibiotic right away.
Directly after the surgery I was on Toradol and percocet for the pain. Toradol is AMAZING!! Pain was totally controllabe. In fact every was amazed at how well I was doing in the first days after surgery. Your main focus should be on your first BM. The first one is the worst one but after the first it gets easier and easier. I wish you all the luck and hope any info I have passed on is helpful to you. I am sure I will be right that with Ozzy at one month to say this surgery was totally worth it. I am almost at 2 weeks today. It is getting better every day!!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:25 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

April Brown34 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9045ddnr347 View Post
beach gal
While you are waiting for response from ozzy I thought I would fill you in on a couple of things I have found to be helpful. I had been taking citrucel every day, then Miralax to keep the stool soft and moving. I found that i was going 4, 5 and 6 times a day. The last thing I want to do at this point. On another post someone mentioned Colace. It is wonderful. I took 1 tab before bed. More productive and many less trips to the potty. Less trips to the bathroom have hepled greatly with the swelling. Also Advil every four hours. Also, I have a tub of Sensitive Baby Wipes in the bathroom its much easier and more comfortable than toilet paper. Another thing for me was, I have trouble with urinary tract infections for years. Gyn ordered no baths years ago which has taken care of most of the problem. All the Sitz baths brought on a UTI. I had the doctor call in an antibiotic right away.
Directly after the surgery I was on Toradol and percocet for the pain. Toradol is AMAZING!! Pain was totally controllabe. In fact every was amazed at how well I was doing in the first days after surgery. Your main focus should be on your first BM. The first one is the worst one but after the first it gets easier and easier. I wish you all the luck and hope any info I have passed on is helpful to you. I am sure I will be right that with Ozzy at one month to say this surgery was totally worth it. I am almost at 2 weeks today. It is getting better every day!!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal01 View Post
I have been lurking on these boards researching my upcoming hemorrhoid surgery, and feel prepared (and scared to death!!) Ozzybug - I think you are the first person that has said you were glad you had it done. I would like to know how long ago you had your surgery ... and how long it took you to feel that way. Thanks so much.
Hey Beachgal!!
I really didn't mean to scare anyone. I'm so sorry...but this really isn't the best surgery to recover from, but I do say again, I am totally glad I had it done.

It took me 4 full weeks to totally recover and I was a very compliant patient. I followed ALL post op directions to the letter. You have gotten some great information from the other posters. Again, I have to reiterate that the Lidocaine cream was a total lifesaver for me. It's much thicker than the Lidocaine gel and provides longer numbing in the area.

As far as how long it took for me to be glad I had it done? I was glad I had it done as soon as I was finished with the recovery process. No more flare ups and bleeding with every BM, no more burning and being unable to sit because the rhoids are inflamed. No more burning pain with every BM. All those things I had to deal with before having them removed were a constant situation with me. It was awful to deal with.

So, all in all, even though recovery was pretty rough, when you look at the long term picture, it's all worth the recovery time.

Good Luck, and please keep us posted.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Thank you to everyone for their responses! I was offline for a few days - had a colonoscopy on Wed. (oh my god - that prep was KILLER on my hemorrhoids!!), then a mammogram on Thursday (got callback for an ultra sound, but all is well!), so I took off work on Friday and spent a long weekend at the beach!

I am really looking forward to my surgery - well, I'm looking forward to life after the surgery! I'm so tired of hemorrhoids!!

I've got a list of things to buy before the surgery - my doctor called me in a prescription for Lidocaine cream after the colonoscopy since I was so raw, so I've got that already. Colace is on my list, along with the handheld shower gizmo - reaches the toilet from the sink nicely!! Wipes, Advil. I will ask for Toradol - is it also constipating?

Another question ... the prep instructions I got from my doctor consist of one enema a couple of hours before I arrive for the surgery. Seems odd to me that the colonoscopy prep isn't advised to avoid a bm the same day as the surgery!! I am tempted to do the colonoscopy prep even though the doctor didn't prescribe it ... because it will delay that next bm. What prep do you guys suggest? You are my experts and I sooooo appreciate your answers!!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #10
(female)

beachgal01 HB User

Hi, all! I have a hemorrhoid surgery question ... the prep instructions I got from my doctor consist of one enema a couple of hours before I arrive for the surgery. Seems odd to me that the colonoscopy prep isn't advised to avoid a bm the same day as the surgery!! I am tempted to do the colonoscopy prep even though the doctor didn't prescribe it ... because it will delay that next bm. What prep do you guys suggest? You are my experts and I sooooo appreciate your answers!!

Closed Thread