It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
(male)

james n HB User
INFECTED with FLU for TRIALS, is this a GOOD IDEA or NOT

Hi hope some people can help me out. Im considering doing a medical trial where i will be infected with the " Panama A" strain of influenza. What i want to find out is, if i get infected, and then get better, will i be more likely to catch the flu again in later years because i would have had it before.

I dont think ive had the flu before (im 30), and would rather not do this medical trial if it could cause problems in later life. I have a very healthy immune system and rarely get ill, i would not want to change this for the sake of the trial. Another question, do most people catch the flu at least once in their lives. Anyone out there know anything about the " Panama A" strain, the receptionist told me it is common, but i would like a second verdict. Anyway, if anyone can help me out with these questions i will be most gratefull, thanks.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-30-2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: please read the posting policy - this is not a professional advice forum - all members answer as patient-to-patient PEERS

Old 10-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
(female)

alabama 84 HB User
Re: INFECTED with FLU for TRIALS, is this a GOOD IDEA or NOT

James N,

I have had the flu only once and you would DEFINATLY know it if you have ever had it. It would certainly not be mistaken for a cold or sniffle! It is the worst feeling I have ever had!

As for the trials, people do trials all the time and come out all right. I however, would not partake. If I am to get sick it would be of natural cause! That is just me though.

I am uncertain about the A strand, but you could google and find out more info or talk to your doctor for some accurate medical advice.

I do get a flu shot about once a year. They say that is will make you a little sick. Sometimes after the shot I feel a little woosy that is about it. My boyfriends 'medical' roomie told me last week that the flu shot is taken from the virus (for the states, I believe we are injected from South American flu season the year before and it just goes 'round the world) Yuk. I could only imagine the trials MAY make you feel a little down. THat is the first time I had heard about the flu shot in that way.

Outside my rambling (I am tired and sleepy!) I would obtain AS MUCH information as possible before I did any trials. You never know these days what the outcome would be. Plus, if you are relatively healthy you probably have a strong immune system that I wouldn't tamper with!

That is just my personal advice for you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread