It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
(male)

SYosofi83 HB User
Exclamation Newby, but serious concern, Random EXTREME sharp head pains

Hey guys, I am a 24 year old male with no major health problems, I don't smoke, and I never drank until maybe 3 months ago, but even that is very rare, I have drunk maybe a hand full of times, never heavy, and I stay physically active with sports and work out when I am able to. On occasion, and I've noticed this in the past 6 months or so, I've been getting these random sharp pains in my head, I don't think they are migrains or headaches, it's like a sudden bolt of sharp pain, then it's gone, and it would happen every few times during the day for a few days, then it's gone for weeks or months at a time, last night I went out to a friends bday party and I ended up sleeping over another friends place, I did drink quite a bit of alchohol(more than I've ever taken before) and when I woke up I felt the sharp pains, first time in a few months I'd say, I dismissed it at first thinking maybe it was a hangover, but these were identical shooting sharp pains from before, and I have to say, they are absolutely unbarable excrutiating pains, and it's not random parts of the head, just in one part above my right ear, Like I said before it's like a sudden bolt of pain, maybe lasts a split second to a second and a half and disappears, and maybe a few mins later again, it would be like this for maybe the whole day or a few days, then stop for a few weeks to a few months, any ideas on what this may be? I don't have health insurance unfortunately, otherwise I'd ask my doctor.

I apologize for the long thread, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible and hopefully get an idea of what is this, is this cause for concern, is this something serious, not as serious or whatever, thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
(male)

SYosofi83 HB User
Exclamation Re: Newby, but serious concern, Random EXTREME sharp head pains

I don't believe alchohol has anything to do with it, my last episodes there was no involvement of any alchohol or drugs, I don't take drugs, not even medicine, call me stubborn I guess.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
(female)

atchoo HB User
Re: Newby, but serious concern, Random EXTREME sharp head pains

Look up Horton's neuralgia. That's one possibility.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

You might call your local health department and ask about the clinics in your area. Many areas have health clinics that are either free or charge based on a sliding scale so those without insurance can get some medical care. It might be nothing to worry about, but I really recommend getting some medical attention just to be sure. Not to scare you, but aneurysm and brain tumor both came to my mind. It could also just be stress. Best to see a doctor if you can at all manage it. The clinic may even be able to set you up for any recommended tests, maybe an MRI or other scan, at a reduced cost. Depends on the system in your area.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
(female)

sax123 HB User

You really need to see a doc though I know this will be hard for you with no insurance. I live in the UK where doc's are free so I was pretty lucky and saw a doc quickly. I suffered with symptoms very much like yours. After a while I decided to see my doc as I was now getting tunnel vision which would come and go. I was told that I probably had a pituitary tumor, it worried the life out of me. I was immediately sent for an MRA which showed that I didn't, however something was wrong with my chemicals in the brain. I am now waiting to see a neurologist for epilepsy. Since my shooting pains started over 2yrs ago I have lost my sense of smell and taste and have had many problems. It's probably just stress or anxiety, however it's better to be safe than sorry. PLS see a doctor ASAP. Wishing you all the best.
GOOD LUCK XXX

Closed Thread