It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
(male)

PIAZZAAR HB User
Concussion, Long Term Effects

During the Vietnam war I was knocked out twice due to rocket fire. I was 20 then and I'm now 59 and having memory problems, headaches, and just a bad feeling. I think of that time a lot.

Could what is happening now be related to the past head injuries?

Old 11-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
(female)

cinlee52 HB User
Re: Concussion, Long Term Effects

Hey it probably so! I had brain surgery in 04 but years before that I got hit in the head BAB REAL BAD Any head injury it seem changes things there is a tbI chatroom that they talk about this stuff I go on sometimes.I had 2 concussions so I don,t know but how I feel and its alot like you I am 52.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
(female)

ericajones80 HB User

Concussions are very serious. I had one when I w

Old 11-30-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

ericajones80 HB User

when i was in high school...still have headaches to this day

Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just curious.were you ever seen by a doc and treated for PTSD?i know a couple people who were in nam and had alot of problems readjusting back into 'normal' life post war.along with some mental health issues there are the flashbacks,and the PTSD is still there to a certain degree.there could be many possible things going on in you that could be casuing your current symptoms.some could possibly be related to the concussions,some possibly something else.have you been to the VA and discussed your symptoms with a doc and had your symptoms evaluated at all?

did these symptoms just appear out of the blue or have you had this going on since the actual injury?if this is more 'new' to you then chances are it is being casued by something else and not actually or completely related to the concussions you suffered.if you have been okay all this time,or pretty much so,the likelyhood of this being directly connected is just a bit smaller,thats all.either way it does need to be evaluated to find out whats going on.seeing a primary first with a possible referral to a neurologsit would be a good idea.at some point obtaining an MRI of your brain wouldn't be a bad idea either.if this has never actually been done post concussion,you really don't know with any real certainty whether or not there was any actual damage done at that time,you know what i mean?alot of people suffer concussions with no lasting impairment,but it kind of depends on the mechanisim of injury that would dictate any real possibility of actual brain trauma that could have been done.i have had several head injurys over my life time.the worst one knocked me out cold when i was in third grade for about 72 hours.that one i really do think had some level of effect on my ability to just do basic math.things changed for me after that.but they didn;t know alot about certain brain injury back then like they do now either.my son suffered a skull fracture with a frontal lobe brain bleed a couple years ago,and he does have cognative issues now becasue of it despite months of rehab and therepys.they can just do so much more now than they could back then.i really would get yourself evaluated for any lasting injury or the reasons for your current sudden symptoms.you just need to know whats up.i hope things are okay for you.please keep us posted, FB

Closed Thread