It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Open to All Other Health Topics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
(male)

KyleG HB UserKyleG HB User
Sharp burning pain in jaw while eating

Since I was little I would always get this sharp intense pain as soon as I put food in my mouth start to chew my food. Right as it touches my cheek inside my mouth I would get the pain. It's just an intense burning feeling that makes me cringe everytime it happens. It lasts for about 3 seconds and then goes away. The weird thing is, this only happens the first or second time I begin to eat. After that it doesn't happen anymore. It happens on both sides of my faces depending on which side the food goes in. The pain feels like it is in the nerves that originate right in front of my ear. Sometimes I can feel it slightly if I think about it and move my saliva around.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Old 12-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Sharp burning pain in jaw while eating

Hi...Yep, I've gotten it since I was a kid..like a spasm in that area....but not every time I eat. I get it sometimes when I'm just starting to eat and then smile or laugh...I think it's caused by a more intense trigger of the salivary glands while other muscles moving that are required to smile or laugh while eating. And like you, it's only once in my meal and depends on what side I'm chewing on.

I get the same feeling if I think about lemons or something that's very sour/tart....such as fluoride rinse after having my teeth cleaned.

Do you get that too?

You should get it checked out if it's every time you eat or if it's just started recently.

Do you find you have a dry mouth normally?

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincy View Post
Hi...Yep, I've gotten it since I was a kid..like a spasm in that area....but not every time I eat. I get it sometimes when I'm just starting to eat and then smile or laugh...I think it's caused by a more intense trigger of the salivary glands while other muscles moving that are required to smile or laugh while eating. And like you, it's only once in my meal and depends on what side I'm chewing on.

I get the same feeling if I think about lemons or something that's very sour/tart....such as fluoride rinse after having my teeth cleaned.

Do you get that too?

You should get it checked out if it's every time you eat or if it's just started recently.

Do you find you have a dry mouth normally?

quincy

Sometimes even though any food triggers it, sour food seems to make it more intense and would always trigger it for some reason.

I don't usually have a dry mouth.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

If you are concerned about it, probably an ENT would be able to answer your questions and make sure there's no other problems happening at the same time. But, it seems to be as though it's a surge of saliva plus muscles spasming in the same area.

I feel your pain.
quincy

Old 12-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
(male)

Quote:
If you are concerned about it, probably an ENT would be able to answer your questions and make sure there's no other problems happening at the same time. But, it seems to be as though it's a surge of saliva plus muscles spasming in the same area.

I feel your pain.
quincy
Ya, i've noticed that it seems to happen when my saliva glands are stimulated, usually by food. I read that when you chew you produce more saliva so I take it theres something wrong with the glands or that its pressing up against the nerve or something when it releases saliva.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi...I think it's worth getting it checked out to see if there is anything serious going on. Do you have any other issues such as clenching or maybe TMJ?

It's possible that sleeping with a teeth guard might help that and indirectly help the pain when you first eat. If/when you see the doc, let me know the outcome.

quincy

Old 01-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
(male)

Quote:
Hi...I think it's worth getting it checked out to see if there is anything serious going on. Do you have any other issues such as clenching or maybe TMJ?

It's possible that sleeping with a teeth guard might help that and indirectly help the pain when you first eat. If/when you see the doc, let me know the outcome.

quincy
Yes I do have TMJ and I do clench all the time which causes a bunch of problems.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi....what if you took a sip of water and swished it through your mouth before you started eating? That might help stimulate the salivary glands a bit and not be like a surge when you do eat.

The other thing could be to just hold food in your mouth for a few seconds before you start chewing.

Do smaller bites compared to bigger bites make a diffence?

I think it's a combo of muscles and salivary glands...

Do you do any exercises for your TMJ?

q

Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
(male)

Quote:
Hi....what if you took a sip of water and swished it through your mouth before you started eating? That might help stimulate the salivary glands a bit and not be like a surge when you do eat.

The other thing could be to just hold food in your mouth for a few seconds before you start chewing.

Do smaller bites compared to bigger bites make a diffence?

I think it's a combo of muscles and salivary glands...

Do you do any exercises for your TMJ?

q
It doesn't really make a difference if I drink something before I eat.

It gets triggered as soon as food goes in my mouth

It doesn't matter whether it is a tiny piece of w/e, it gets triggered off as soon as something gets put into my mouth and then goes away immediately after

I do not do exercises for TMJ.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

So....what did a doctor every say about it?

q

Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
(male)

I went to a doctor for TMJ and he said my bite was extremely off and I would have to get braces before he can do anything further.

I have many other different problems as well and I am currently seeing a doctor in philly. She also mentioned TMJ as a possibility for some of my other symptoms (I never told her about this problem though).

When I describe this I try to becareful not to confuse TMJ pain to this kind of pain. I do have a lot of pain and heachaces caused by TMJ but this is very different from it.
I've had this ever since I was little and I only feel it when, whether it be the saliva glands or w/e, is stimulated by food.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would agree it's not TMJ...I agree it's saliva gland stimulation from food.

Closed Thread